Remember me
Lost Password Register

Poll: What body position do you maintain for ascending?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Vertical always
22.22%
2 22.22%
Horizontal always
11.11%
1 11.11%
Vertical usually but sometimes Horizontal
33.33%
3 33.33%
Horizontal usually but sometimes Vertical
11.11%
1 11.11%
Both Horizontal and Vertical equally
22.22%
2 22.22%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Horizontal or Vertical Ascending
01-29-2003, 03:38 PM,
Horizontal or Vertical Ascending
Just curious as to how everyone ascends from a dive.
01-29-2003, 05:29 PM,
Re:Horizontal or Vertical Ascending
I am trying to do more horizontal ascents, but sometimes it is difficult -- especially when I'm at 80 feet in the middle of a lake with no frame of reference. Practice practice practice
--Jason
01-29-2003, 05:36 PM,
Yeah...Jason I agree, I kind of struggle with a straight horizontal ascent from real deep. I think that's where it is most difficult. If you are just slowly going up with a bottom reference then it's no problem to work your way up slowly that way.
01-29-2003, 06:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-29-2003, 06:01 PM by freedivernd.)
Scuba - usually same for me as freediving - head down verticle (surface dive) on the descent and head up verticle on the ascent.

-edit - depends I guess if it's deep water or shore diving..

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
01-29-2003, 06:59 PM,
Both descent and ascent should be horizontal, but for different reasons (talking scuba):

descent: when descending horizontally it's much easier to keep both an eye on where the bottom is so you don't plow into it, while at the same time being able to keep a visual reference with the other team members. This should be either done through direct visual contact, or light contact, where you should at all times be able to see your team mate(s)' light(s). Also, once you arrive at your cruising depth you no longer need to adjust your body position but you're ready to go immediately, which is definitely a plus when yuo're on a limited schedule.

ascent: again, it's easier to keep track of your teammates, but mainly: during ascent you're offgassing. In a vertical position, due to the elevated hydrostatic pressure you're lung efficiency decreases. In a horizontal position, you use all of he alveoli to eliminate inert gas out of the bloodstream, thus preventing possible DCS symptoms.
01-29-2003, 07:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-29-2003, 07:59 PM by freedivernd.)
DRE,
well.. I guess key words here were team member... usually don't have any .. go ahead, flame away. As for body adjustment from verticle it doesn't take anything to plane off (for me) from a verticle dive, nor does it take anything to regulate bouyancy on the way down. Why doesn't everyone learn to do a good surface dive with gear on, if every team member is doing it you could keep each other in visual... hold hands for that matter and not leave anyone at the surface..except anyone horizontal. A surface dive to the bottom is definetly a plus when you're on a limited schedule.
just pickin' on ya.. Wink

Fred (who, kneedless to say, knee went out at basketball again, not in a good mood) fortunately it doesn't affect my finning.
Cold and dark down there huh?
01-29-2003, 08:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-29-2003, 10:10 PM by tbrown.)
Usually I decend verticle, and ascend horizontal. Hadn't and still haven't figured out why I do it, just seems to work that way for me. Sorry about your knee Fred. Not as young as you used to be huh? Wink
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
01-29-2003, 08:50 PM,
OK, so sometimes I do descent somewhat vertically as well - head down (which is what you're referring to Fred). What I absolutely loath is the basic PADI OW way of descending feet first - there's absolutely nothing worse.
Since I dive doubles most of the time the horizontal position is already dictated by the doubles.
01-29-2003, 09:23 PM,
Once I got my weight and trim figured out, I ascend/descend from any depth horizontally without any problems (unless assisting with a PADI class then I do it the PADI way). I find that I am in much more control when horizontal.

Derrick
01-31-2003, 07:22 PM,
I am another one of the horizontal ascending or descending types. It feels more comfortable for me.

JoelW