Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diving Virgin Holes,,,,,,,,,,,,
04-16-2010, 01:21 PM,
Re: Diving Virgin Holes,,,,,,,,,,,,
"arcflash's was decent enough tho"
I assume you mean it was TOTALLY AWESOME! 

I would not use an ice axe. The tips are very hard and that makes them brittle. It's extremely likely you'll just break the tip. The little bit of ice climbing I've done it's very important to hang directly off the tool, no twisting.

Spuds: Bending strength is an easy calculation, try
I'm considering making a lifting gantry because a spud would have to be at least 2.5 inches and weigh between 64 and 100# depending on length. A36 steel will give the same bending strength as high carbon only the yield will be different so unless your getting into plastic deformation pressures it's not going to matter. (Engineers, If I got this wrong please say so. My metallurgy book says its based on cross section not the alloy)

T: the only thing I'd like is a smaller eye splice. The eye it so large when I try and grab the rope I put my hand through the eye much of the time. Those plastic thimbles are nice and they provide enough room to clip.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
04-16-2010, 01:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-16-2010, 04:32 PM by DetectorGuy.)
I only got 1 day of ice diving with you but I enjoyed hearing the antics about the other ice dives ;D. As far as the setup:

175' twisted poly line is good. Just make sure the safety line is longer. Make sure the safety diver is willing to recover you at what ever length you use.

2 divers on one line... I never had fun while doing this. I would rather be out there on my own and not have this "shadow diver" looking over my shoulder.

Pulling blocks up is what I will do.

Everyone running with ponies or stage bottles is the only way to go.

Locking biners on the truck. I must have missed the class that taught that technique but it works good in my book.

floating spud  :-\ or at least a rope around your wrist... suggestion only

Magnetic key box under front bumper for spare key or a glass cutter... suggestion only

Things that might make your ice diving experience better: nice, quick, easy, big shelter. 3' bar for the chainsaw. Secchi disk for checking clarity prior to setting up. More biners incase you cant drive the silverado out for anchoring. Small trailer for hauling all the found anchors home. Water warming method for thawing cold/frozen hoods and gloves. Maybe a neoprene sock with a re-usable heat pack around your first stage to minimize free-flows. Ear flaps on that cowboyhat  ??? to keep your ears warm between dives. (unless you were playing water polo and your horse went the same direction as you spud). Of course if you really want to be stylish you could purchase one of those sweet new Ice Removal Devices (dont tell anyone, but I know where you could get an autographed one for a song):

Attached Files
.pdf   ICE REMOVAL DEVICE 3-12-10.pdf (Size: 45.08 KB / Downloads: 57)
.pdf   ICE REMOVAL DEVICE DETAILS 3-12-10.pdf (Size: 39.59 KB / Downloads: 41)
04-16-2010, 03:55 PM,
1.  Magnetic key box under front bumper for spare key or a glass cutter... suggestion only
2.  Ear flaps on that cowboyhat  ??? to keep your ears warm between dives.
[/quote]

I'm sure Terry could PROBABLY use the magnetic key box under the front bumper...as long as he remembers to put the spare keys IN IT, and NOT lock them in his truck again.  Besides, I'm sure EVERYONE has done that at least once...doing it again two weeks later??, now THAT takes talent  :-\

But ear flaps on his cowboy hat?...nah...all he has to do is wear a bigger hat  ;D