12-19-2008, 04:01 PM,
Re: Where is the ice today?
Sounds like a win-win situation. 
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
12-30-2008, 11:22 AM,
Last night I saw a couple of cars on Minnetonka! Not sure of the bay, west of Cty Rd 19, South of 15 half way to 7 near the "S" curves.  Seems a bit early. Anyone know how much ice is out there? As far as ice diving, doesn't it take a while for the sediment to settle out to get  better vis? Lakes will vary of couse. What experience do some of you have with vis? Will Wazee be very good vis yet?

How's it goin' Maxfactor?
Advanced Trimix, Experimental Russian Rebreather/KISS, A&P Aircraft Mechanic, Private Pilot, All around cool guy, Certified Arborist
12-30-2008, 11:51 AM,
Channel 5 said something about the NYD polar swim and 15 inches of ice. DNR says 12 inches of good ice is the minimum for cars so it's too close for me to drive on.

I've seen no connection between good vis and time but then I'm always on a new lake. I would think the longer it's iced over the better but carp and other bottom fish muck it up. Forest Lake was <10 feet and a local told us we were maybe 200 yards from a known spring so that may explain the vis. Christmas was <15 as well but being it's near zero during the summer maybe it was as good as it could get.

I think it's most important to find a hard bottom lake and dive shallow. That way you find stuff and the light is good.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
12-30-2008, 01:55 PM,

Roads plowed on mille lacs, plenty of vehicle traffic, 1' of snow on ice
[/quote]

18 plus inches of good solid ice mille lacs, When I last checked with the resorts. If they are running 1 ton plow trucks to open the roads,  I would think your minivan would be safe. ;D with today's weather, I would recommend bringing some shovels.  I would add probably another 18 inches to 2 feet of snow on top of the ice.
12-30-2008, 03:12 PM,
Sorry, the Channel 5 thing was Minnetonka.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
12-30-2008, 04:37 PM,
I know where there is not ice, been in High Springs Florida since Sunday and dove Peacock, and Little River - no ice???  Going to try Manatee tomorrow and see if we have any luck.  I think i dragged all the ice gear for naught :Smile

Deep Thought

Start with training, continue with adventures.
12-30-2008, 07:10 PM,
have a good time down there and watch out for ice sharks and such.
grumpie......