Remember me
Lost Password Register

Failed search and no recovery
07-24-2009, 05:51 PM,
Failed search and no recovery
I dove lake Osakis today in hopes of recovering a fishing rod that went over tuesday. I got the call and it sounded simple enough, gps mark and everything, but what they left out was that a fish pulled it overboard. Couldnt find a thing. Sad Nice dive though.
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
07-27-2009, 09:25 AM,
Re: Failed search and no recovery
Cool, I went looking for an anchor that went overboard about two weeks ago and had a gps coordinate to work off of, no luck though either.
07-27-2009, 02:14 PM,
Was it a hard bottom or muck?
07-27-2009, 04:21 PM,
Do you guys want to get together for a search pattern class.
07-27-2009, 04:22 PM,
from geocaching, ive found most citizen grade gps units can vary 10-40 feet depending on the satellite connections and whether you are using the same unit to find an old loc
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
07-27-2009, 05:45 PM,
I think my problem was the fish attached to the rod, who knows where that thing is now. ???
Grumpy if your serious I'm always up to learn something new, PM me with details. ;D
07-27-2009, 06:50 PM,
A gps location is fine for a general loc. but then you have to deside on the type of pattern you want to use and go from there. you start from a given point and end at a given point. if you do it slowly  and carefully you should find it.
when you dive the minn. river and find what you are looking for it makes the job fun, even if you smell like dead cat fish.
grumpie
08-03-2009, 01:43 PM,
I'll have to wait until the fall. It's on top of a 12 foot reef, vis is about 5 feet normally, but with the shallow water algae bloom it's about 1-2 feet. I'm thinking it'll clear up when it gets colder, any experiences of when you guys think it'll start to clear? After I dropped of the reef in about 14 feet or so it cleared up nicely and had a good dive, except for not finding the anchor.
08-03-2009, 03:09 PM,

I thought old guys like you just smelled like that naturally!!!  >Big Grin

I can't blame my aroma on the fish - since I haven't been in the water lately!  I just haven't made the time to go diving...
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
08-03-2009, 09:52 PM,
One thing I have come to find out over time, is that people who drop things in lakes tend to over-estimate alot of things...  Alot of the time, when people say they marked the spot on GPS, they are not accounting for the time they watched over the item drop, the amount of time they panicked or the amount of time it took them to remember they even had a GPS.  They feel that as long as they mark before they start the engine, a diver should have no problem dropping down and finding an item.  In that time a boat could have drifted quite a bit.  I have found that it saves a ton of time to "qualify" the people you are helping out.  "So you're saying if I'm 30' around any side of this spot, at some point I'll pass over it"?  Usually, you'll see hesitation or certainty right away.  Make them rethink and it should save some time and effort-
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson