Remember me
Lost Password Register

Using toothpaste in a new mask??
01-31-2003, 04:32 PM,
Using toothpaste in a new mask??
A friend just called me and asked why someone would wanna use toothpaste inside of a new mask. I told him that it just didn't make any sense. This dude is an instructor and all his instructor friends do this... I dunno why you'd want to use an abrasive on the scratch free, brand spankin' new glass...

Is this one of those passed-down wive's tales that just suckers everyone in? Kinda like how a black hole absorbs light? Can nothing withstand it?

Thoughts or answers?

Richie
01-31-2003, 07:19 PM,
Re:Using toothpaste in a new mask??
Why would you want to do it. Because it works. There is a bit of silicone on the glass in a new mask. To make life easier it should be cleaned off. The abrasive in toothpaste won't hurt glass. Acrylic on the other hand will be scuffed. I toothpaste my masks out every couple of weeks because the glass gets spotted and the toothpaste takes it off.

JoelW
02-02-2003, 09:09 PM,
Toothpaste works great and is really needed on a new mask. I've found that gently applying it with a soft, old toothbrush works well (go figure). I'm with Joel - I tend to clean out my masks every now and then with toothpaste just to help get some of the gunk out of the corners.

Also, here's a tip: many masks seem to come with a plastic box of some kind. If you plan on storing you mask in the box, then clean the inside of the box with toothpaste also. Some of that silicone rubbed off and is on the inside of the box, and will get on your mask again unless you wash it out.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
02-02-2003, 09:10 PM,
Toothpaste works great and is really needed on a new mask. I've found that gently applying it with a soft, old toothbrush works well (go figure). I'm with Joel - I tend to clean out my masks every now and then with toothpaste just to help get some of the gunk out of the corners.

Also, here's a tip: many masks seem to come with a plastic box of some kind. If you plan on storing you mask in the box, then clean the inside of the box with toothpaste also. Some of that silicone rubbed off and is on the inside of the box, and will get on your mask again unless you wash it out.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
02-04-2003, 10:34 PM,
Hey; no wives tale at all. There are oils left on the mask from the manufacturing process. You can try other cleaners, but nothing works as well as toothpaste to cut the oil. After you have removed the oils, it shouldn't be needed again, but I won't disagree with Joel's practice of using toothpaste to keep your lens clean. And no, it won't hurt the glass on your mask - it doesn't wear your teeth down.
03-03-2003, 11:16 PM,
Not only does "the toothpaste trick" work on new masks, it can help a more experienced one too. If after a while you find your mask defog of choice (natural or bottled) doesn't seem to work as well... try "the toothpaste trick". Things like sun tan lotion can get on the lenses over time and form a bit of a slick. The toothpaste should help clean this off.
03-04-2003, 10:16 AM,
Makes the mask smell nice during the next dive. kinda Minty Fresh ;D

Seriously this works well, remember to clean the silicon rubber as well as its the vapour from this which contaminates the lens and cuases the fogging

I just put a dollop in my finger and rub it all over
Diver Mole
visit
03-04-2003, 10:41 AM,
I was always told to spit into the mask and "wash" it around.
03-04-2003, 10:56 AM,
Spit works as a low cost defogger but doesn't replace the cleaning action of toothpaste.
Leon
03-04-2003, 04:13 PM,
Cute picture on the side there Divermole :Smile