Remember me
Lost Password Register

How popular is argon?
12-13-2008, 12:13 PM,
How popular is argon?
I was wondering how many people here use argon in their drysuits. Does it really insulate that much better than air? Is it that you just feel warmer because you are swimming harder to overcome the added drag of the argon tank? Do you wear noticably less thickness of undergarments when diving with argon? I just don't see the payoff for 33 degree and warmer water. I suppose if someone was ice diving in a river where the current would keep the water from freezing that is say 30 degrees or colder. Has anyone ever dove in water that is colder than 32 degrees? With current, is this possible for water to stay liquid below 32 degrees? What is the coldest air temp where local divers have dove?
12-13-2008, 01:17 PM,
Re: How popular is argon?
Check here for some information
Al
12-13-2008, 01:35 PM,

Thanks for the info. There is alot of good stuff in the article, just dont read the article if you are sleepy. For argon having 10 to 20% better insulating ability and the increased drag from the bottle, I will probably stick to air for inflation.
12-13-2008, 01:48 PM,
There are lots of opinions on Argon for insulation.  I have used it only a few times and have not noticed a lot of difference, but that could be because I was working at different loads for those dives. Divers whose opinion I would generally trust have claimed a definite difference with argon.   I think you'd have to use it a lot to be able to compare.  Technically it has to be a warmer gas.  The coldest air temp I've ever dove was my 4th dive for ice certification in 1984.  25 below actual temp (40 below with wind chill).  We were on Lake Minnetonka and had set up the tents (small hoop style) with strong propane blower heaters pumped in.  I think we had 2 holes each with a tent over and as we began diving a storm blew up and we couldn't see shore anymore - a short while later the Hennepin County Sherriffs Water Patrol came by on snowmobiles and told us we had to get off the lake (because it was too cold).  The Instructor told them we'd leave as soon as we could see shore again and proceded to complete dives for all 6 divers in the class.  My coldest dive (shiver factor) was a 2:15 dive under the ice in the Grand Marais boat harbor shooting video for a documentary. Maybe the dumbest thing I've ever done, but they had to get the filming done.  By the end I needed to be pulled out of the water and couldn't undo my own gear.  Needless to say don't try this at home - I know I won't do it again.  I think I remember seeing 31 degrees before under the ice?
12-13-2008, 02:06 PM,
Thanks Lee, I am just wondering about it.
12-13-2008, 07:29 PM,
If you're interested in how cold liquid water can get check out wiki for ice. Something like 16 types exist and one type is hyper viscus (thick like honey) and it's something like -40 C and 400 MPa. There are a bunch of sites many are good but I can't find them now so try this if you think ice is simply cold water,

I you wanted to know (but didn't want to do the math) how to dive the coldest water ever at at -20C and it's 400Mpa means you need to be ready to dive the equivalent of 65,117 feet or 29,007psi so you'll also need to pump that 80 a little past the working pressure to get a second or two out of it.  Tongue

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.