Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ice block while diving
12-21-2008, 12:52 PM,
Re: Ice block while diving
First of all a merry Christmas and a happy new year to all of you, from dick and judy Hagen and may next year be better. I still (think) next fall we should meetat gooseberry falls for a family fun day.
The ice block is a matter of choice and the amount of help you have to get it out of the water.
the subject of knotts again is personal choice, the important thing is safety.
the reason for much of the comments was to get some life in this site, which it did and all the comment were good and well made.
BUT shooter you do not have to wear the PFD under your dry suit, its only when your tending and then you can take it off when diving,  HO HO HO.
the grumpie one.....
have a good one guys and gals.
12-22-2008, 09:32 AM,

Merry Christmas Grumpie, Maybe santa will give you a backplate and wings for Christmas  ;D

This makes the decision easy for me

01-08-2009, 06:42 PM,
And on the 8th Day, God created the Backplate and Wings, and he said, "This is good."

And on the 9th Day, he rested (went diving).
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
01-08-2009, 07:36 PM,
So I guess there is no right or wrong, its just what you are comfortable with and work arround it.As to the safety harness, if you look at it you will see that the D-ring is under the webbing and is sewed in place with a piece of webbing arround it. the D-ring is a piece of stainless steel and the ends are welded together or should be.
01-21-2009, 02:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-21-2009, 02:59 PM by arcFlash.)
I was looking at some ice pics and it occurred to me why we have people so polarized on this. People like me that mostly ice dive in 20 feet looking for anchors and other loot swim in big flat circles and would catch the ice if pushed under but those that dive deeper (say Wazee) wouldn't have this problem and could easily push it under without issue.

Original, I forgot to consider depth as a factor. I would be fine pushing it under if I was going to 60ft but not for 18ft.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
01-21-2009, 03:21 PM,
Good afternoon, I believe that NAUI has a max depth of 40 feet and 100 feet away from the hole. For my liking 100 feet is a long way when you have a problem.
01-21-2009, 05:13 PM,
Good thing I didn't take NAUI.  ;D

This was about ice blocks and I think it's a valid factor for those of us that dive the site not the rule book.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
01-21-2009, 10:41 PM,
Naui does not say anything about the ice blocks,  they leave it up to the instructor
01-22-2009, 12:13 AM,
We push the ice under!  Never had it freeze to the bottom.  But when we cut the triangle it is ALWAYS into three chunks.  That way we send it off to all three corners.
  Would be pretty hard to have all three pull in an lock you under.
When we close it up at the end of the day last diver in slides in the two an hooks the rope around the third.  comes out an we close it up.
Jeff 
TDI Advance Nitrox an Deco Trimix an Cave
01-22-2009, 06:58 AM,
sounds like a very good plan also.