Remember me
Lost Password Register

psd rope signals
01-15-2009, 10:26 AM,
psd rope signals
I was trained with NAUI.  The signals there seemed to only apply to similarly trained divers.  Now that we are public safety divers, I would like us to adapt to those rope signals.  Is there a universal standard?  If not why?  This is what I found.  Please let me know if this is standard. I'm sure they can get more complicated than that.  But I at least want to cover the basics. with the communication gear it will be a lot easier.  In the  event of a communication failure, or for a covert operation,  >Big Grin I would like us all to be on the same page

Tender to diver

One pull on the line: okay, okay?
Two pulls: stop, take out slack, reverse direction
Three pulls: come to the surface
Four pulls: stop, don't move (there could be danger ahead or a boat entering the search area)
Diver to tender

One pull on the line: okay, okay?
Two pulls: advance line
Three pulls: object found
Four or more pulls: assistance needed
01-15-2009, 11:20 AM,
Re: psd rope signals

do PSDs do a lot of covert tethered diving operations?
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
01-15-2009, 12:27 PM,

do PSDs do a lot of covert tethered diving operations?
[/quote]

Always be prepared............. ;D
01-15-2009, 01:49 PM,
Like every thing else in life you must have a back up plan for problems, I teach rope signals first and then the audio system as back up. As for covert op. I'm not really sure what that is. I have worked for the SO for 40 years and we never had I guess.
01-16-2009, 11:16 AM,

Are the above signals correct? 

Just in case when we come across a large quantity of spanish gold.........We will need to keep it quiet >Big Grin
01-16-2009, 02:54 PM,
Check with john, i will give him a packet of stuff
01-16-2009, 08:37 PM,
can anyone tell me if there is  universal rope signals for psd?
01-16-2009, 09:14 PM,
It all depends on which training agency you use. PSD, DRI, use 4 pull signals. LGS uses the navy multi-rope  pulls.
The rope signals that you listed are fairly common. The one pull is not used, be caused it can be confused with a snagged on the bottom or in the weeds. once in a while the one pull will be used as a responce to say OK I got the signal.
01-17-2009, 06:28 PM,

Thanks!
01-18-2009, 10:06 PM,
I googled "ice diving rope signals" and this is what website had to say.

BSAC Roped Diver Signals
The sports diver does not need a comprehensive range of life-line signals as does the commercial diver, and with this in mind the following five signals are those which should be known and understood by all sports divers. The interpretation has to be made with care and though on the part of both the sender and receiver of signals. Varied shades of meaning may apply under different diving situation. for this reason, this short basic table has the simplest interpretations indicated; for amplified meanings reference should be made to the complete Single Life Line Signal Code which is lower down this page, and from which these five signals are taken.

Key:

Signal
Surface = S
Diver = D

One Pull
S = Are you OK?

D = I am OK

Two Pulls
S - Stay Put

D = I am Stationary

Three Pulls
S = Go on down

D = Going down

Four Pulls*
S = Come up D = Coming up

Continuous Pulls
S = Emergency - Bringing you to the surface

D = Emergency - Bring me to the surface

If you wish to stop the diver before he reaches the surface, or closes with you if a buddy line is used, give the TWO PULLS signal.

When used in conjunction with a buddy line there is a slight variation in meaning:

Three Pulls
D = Move away from me (to limit of line)

Four Pulls
D = Come to me

General notes on using rope signals
The attendant should always allow the diver sufficient time to make a reply or acknowledgement, because a diver at work might not be able to acknowledge a signal immediately. Therefore, after a slight pause, the signal should be repeated. If after a reasonable time has elapsed, the signal remains UNACKNOWLEDGED (the time allowed could be pre-determined) the Dive Marshall should be notified with a view to sending the Standby Diver down to investigate.

If signals are INCORRECTLY ACKNOWLEDGED, they should be repeated until the correct response is received. If, after repeating the signal, the correct response is still not received, the Dive Marshall may take steps to surface the diver in order to clarify the situation.
While the BSAC Roped Signals are sufficient for simple tasks and for the training requirements of 2nd Class divers, it will be obvious to the reader that the more comprehensive range of signals is necessary in order for divers to effectively perform useful work under water when operating on a lifeline. The Royal Navy and Commercial diving companies have standardised on the following Single Life Line Signal Code which should be employed by all who require a more comprehensive range of life-line signals. The notes which followed the BSAC Roped Diver Signals Table concerning the manner in which signals should be made applies equally to the Single Life Line Signal Code.
It should be noted that these comprise either PULLS or BELLS or a combination of both. A PULL is a steady heave on the line, a BELL is a sharp, quick tug.

Example: For FIVE BELLS you give - Two quick tugs (pause), TWO QUICK TUGS (pause), ONE QUICK TUG.
All signals should be preceded by an 'ATTENTION' signal, which should consist of ONE PULL. This should always be acknowledged with ONE PULL. The message should then follow.

Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201