Remember me
Lost Password Register

New East Coast wreck dive
01-15-2009, 04:11 PM,
New East Coast wreck dive
US Airways Jet Down In Hudson River 

By Glenn Pew, Contributing Editor, Video Editor

A US Airways A320 with 164 passengers and five crew went down in the Hudson River, near midtown Manhattan shortly before 3:45 pm, Thursday. Flight 1549 was scheduled to depart out of NY LaGuardia at 3:04 and departed at 3:26 pm for Charlotte. It was floating in the water at 3:45 pm. The earliest reports -- yet to be confirmed -- state that the pilot reported multiple bird strikes after flying through a flock of Canadian geese.

The aircraft appeared to be mostly, if not fully, intact as NY Waterways ferries and police boats swarmed the aircraft. Passengers could be seen both on the outboard left wing and in rafts amid floating debris, which appeared to seat cushions. By 3:59 pm, the aircraft's fuselage had disappeared below the water.
01-15-2009, 05:50 PM,
Re: New East Coast wreck dive
sounds like it would be an invite only event for awhile
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
01-15-2009, 05:57 PM,
Sounds like a very good job by everyone. how many lift bags for this one?
01-15-2009, 08:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-15-2009, 09:14 PM by MAXFACTOR.)
FIRST....  HATS OFF TO THE PILOT FOR NOT TAKING OUT 30 BUILDINGS IN MANHATTAN.  AND THEN TO LAND IT WITH OUT BOUNCING  /FLIPPING  or BUSTING THE PLANE UP ........ IS AMAZING TO ME.

That won't be a fun dive for any diver.  The current in the river there is very strong, except for about 20 minutes when the tidal action slows and reverse's.

I used to swim off the pier on 69th st  in Brooklyn, about a 5 minute boat ride from where the plane crashed.    Where the plane crashed ... Manhattan runs along side the river, and that particular part of the river is narrow then say the bay, where I use to jump in. 

On any given day, the current is running fast.  In fact, you could usually jump off the pier on the right corner, and be at the left corner  end of the pier in about 7 seconds.  Thats fast.  IN FACT... I just watched some video of one of the survivors talking on land, and you can actually see the plane moving with the current.  WATCH IT..

Grumpie,  how fast does the mississippi run at nominal rain conditions / water levels? 

I can reasonably tell you the Hudson probably runs as fast with the ebb and tidal action created off CONEY ISLAND.   (where the best hot dogs in the world can be purchased.)    NATHAN's ORIGINAL.

maxfactor