Remember me
Lost Password Register

Minnetonka wrecks
06-29-2009, 09:05 PM,
Re: Minnetonka wrecks
Fire a warning flare over their bow....Then maybe they will get the point!  ;D
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
06-29-2009, 09:09 PM,
Oh so tempting to go to Wisconsin and get some roman candle just to do that.  Much cheaper than flares, and more colors to choose from.. ;D
06-29-2009, 09:17 PM,
Yeah...This weekend there will be so many they can't investigate all calls.  Just hide the evidence and I saw NOTHING!  8)
06-30-2009, 12:13 PM,
Maybe try a large Alpha flag, it's more international and may get people to look at their nautical symbol place mats.

Boaters should all know that one. The dive flag doesn't get enough attentions.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
06-30-2009, 02:58 PM,
The one on Robert's boat is really good sized! I think you would have to be more than blind not to see it.
The only thing I take seriously when it comes to diving is safety.
06-30-2009, 08:43 PM,
Unfortunately, we didn't have my boat,or flag out with us on Sunday.  We took Terry's boat, and I forgot to bring my big dive flag.

We did have two dive flags in the water for only three divers, and two people on the boat while we were diving to tell people that there were divers down, and some people still had no clue.. ???
07-01-2009, 09:56 AM,

How many wrecks are there in Minnetonka? What about depth?

Can anyone provide history on the ones you dove?
07-01-2009, 10:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-01-2009, 11:06 AM by Terry.)

Hey Lynn!
                     It looks like there are approx 6-8 depending on what your calling a wreck, and how much muck your willing to dig through, the Hopkins is probably the best, certinley of the ones we've dove, depth looks like 35-75 on most. LOTS of history, I'm sure, just not exactly sure where to find it, I bet someone here knows, it would be way cool now to go for a HH cruise aboard the "Minnehaha" that is the one that Jerry Provost rasised, from the bottom and has since been fully restored and now cruises the lake, we saw it last weekend from a distance, and it looks pretty neat.

Robert and I are planning on putting a run to them this coming holiday weekend probably Fri. (with both his boat (huge flag) and my boat (small flag) you decide which boat you want to be on  Wink) if you or anyone else here would like to see them, your welcome to come with!
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
07-03-2009, 10:01 PM,
Scubafreek864, good to meet you and fly across the lake in your boat!  I had a great time with you down on the wreck of the tug Hercules!  GPS sure does make the trip easier!  The tug sat in about 50 ft of water with 7 ft vis.  Good idea to have a dive light, it was OK with out light, but I'm glad you had yours!  That big flag seemed to keep the other Holiday boaters away!
07-04-2009, 09:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-04-2009, 11:08 AM by scubafreek864.)
Did some more wreck diving yesterday on Minnetonka.  Terry, Doug, Wesley, and I hit the lake in the morning around 8:30.

First wreck was the Barge in Wayzata bay.  Not much more that 5ft vis on that one.

Second was the Como.  Vis was a little better on this one, but not by much. 5ft.-10ft.

Third was the Twin Engine Cabin Cruiser in Wayzata bay.  Vis was about the same as the Barge. 5ft, maybe a little more.  I expected to see a nice clean wreck, but saw a perposely sunk/discarded cruiser that didn't take the time to make it safer for the environment.  SHAME, SHAME on who ever put that down in the water, leaving it on the trailer ??? and with a fuel tank still hooked to the motors, and a battery besides.  NOTE:  The regestration numbers are still visuable, and can be traced back to the owner of the boat.

Then hooked up with Diverqueen, and hit the Hercules tug wreck.  That was the best vis of the day.  Even with all the cloud cover, you could still see 8ft-10ft.  Great little tug.  Too bad the wheel house area is gone.