Remember me
Lost Password Register

Cutting Ice the easy(iest) way,,,,,,,,?
02-03-2010, 10:43 AM,
Re: Cutting Ice the easy(iest) way,,,,,,,,?
I 'spose an "old" saw may function better but man oh man, once that "antique" tag gets pinned on something, then the prices get ludicrous. 
02-03-2010, 03:15 PM,
check with the folks at
Lakeland General Store/Just Ask Rental
22438 Old 59 road
Pelican rapids, MN 56572

to see if they are still selling ice saws.  My buddy Jim Grier from up by Fargo swore by them (and I got mine shipped directly to me several years ago)  If I wasn't headed to Coz in the morning I'd try to hook up and let you borrow it for a weekend or two to try it out - not sure if I had it along any of the times we did ice together or not.  (big medieval pole-weapon looking thing!, but it sure cuts nice...)
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
02-03-2010, 03:44 PM,
Driving right by there tommorrow, I'll try to remember to stop and take a look.
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain
02-03-2010, 04:50 PM,

Lots of good advice! THANKS everyone, have to agree with my friend Steve about enjoying hand sawing, just not with your saw,,,,  :-\ buddy. A chainsaw sure cancels some of the serenity to be found out on the lake, and does make a mess, forgot about the line entrapment of non-augered holes too. When I was a kid we had a T-handled ice saw with one directional teeth about 3" long and a blade about 5' long, we used to cut holes for dark housing with and it worked dandy! So if someone knows where to find such a beast, lets here it.    THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE      TRINITY
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)
02-03-2010, 04:54 PM,

When you were a kid, huh?  Now just HOW LONG AGO WAS THAT  ???  Wink
02-03-2010, 04:57 PM,

Can you take a pic and post it tonight?

I got a buddy in WI with one from the Ice Saw Shop but they are OOB I think.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
02-03-2010, 05:07 PM,

When you were a kid, huh?  Now just HOW LONG AGO WAS THAT  ???   Wink
[/quote]

40 years back, I remember it like yesterday,,,,, seems like yesterday, or is it just life in the fast lane, the only bummer being, you get to the other end so quick.
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)
02-03-2010, 10:14 PM,
I  guess I'm a bit older than terry, I lived on lake minnatonka and they use to cut ice in front of my folks house.than they would haul it to the middle of the island we lived on and store it in a large saw dust filled ice house so that we ice for our fridg. all summer long.
There was nothing better then a cold piece on a hot summer day.  We would run down the street behind the icemans truck and jump on the back and hack of a piece of ice, it was like a pop cycle
I guess that some of the old days were ok after all
02-03-2010, 10:18 PM,
looks similar to this one:
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
02-04-2010, 08:32 AM,
That looks shockingly similar to my Nil's. I would not commit to it unless you try it first.

I tried to find a pic of the good design I've used but only found one small pic and I couldn't be sure.

The difference is the tooth shape. Mine has a wadge shape pointing out more than down and back to a small rounded gullet.

The good kind has a straight shape and points more down than out and has a large round gullet.

I believe the advantage is horsepower per tooth. Mine is too aggressive and requires more power per tooth then a human has. The straight (no wedged tooth) cuts slower but required less power per tooth so you can still cut thick ice when many teeth are cutting.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.