Remember me
Lost Password Register

Fish ID flash cards? or just point and shoot?
02-03-2009, 01:36 PM,
Fish ID flash cards? or just point and shoot?
Looking more ways to train the brain on ID'ing stickable fish in SE Florida. 
Non-divers seem so,  well,  shallow.
02-03-2009, 04:19 PM,
Re: Fish ID flash cards? or just point and shoot?
I do a little of both. Instead of always staring down at my card I pick a 2 or 3 I haven't seen and watch for them.
02-03-2009, 04:48 PM,
Where did you get the cards?  I heading down next week  and I want to know my targets,  er fish. ;D
02-03-2009, 06:13 PM,
I buy mine at my LDS. I think most have them. You can get them online as well when ALL else fails. I have some Caribbean Reef cards, you could have one if you want one.
Gratis
02-04-2009, 06:29 AM,
I have a carribean one also,  but I have the same problem,  too many fish (and too small a pic's).

I should have been more clear,  I'm looking for flash cards with one fish on each;  that way I can flip through just the ones I want to shoot,  for starters.  After I've 'kilt' those >Big Grin,  then it'll be time to learn the non-edible ones ;D

Thanks for your offer.
02-04-2009, 08:02 AM,
Most flash cards or pictures do not accurately represent what the fish looks like underwater.  The pictures are  Taken with filters and lights.  I watched a lot of underwater video on Spearboard.  Fishkilla productions has lots of underwater videos with shot placement.  I would recommend pointing and shooting.  Nothing goes to waste in the ocean.  If you don't eat it something else well. If it's a nice fish, you probably won't have time to look at flash cards and shoot. If you're shooting grouper look for fish, with the squared off tale.  The rounded ones are usually jewfish or Goliath grouper.

Good luck and have fun!
02-04-2009, 08:48 AM,
(in my best teen voice)  Kewl.....        I saw some of your posts before "Damn Yankee I" and started getting excited then.  Thanks.  I'm hoping I need to ship something home in a big cooler. ;D
02-04-2009, 11:06 AM,

I have found it's actually cheaper to bring them with you on the plane.  They usually charge an extra $50, I have checked shipping, and it usually is a lot more.  Who are you going spearing with?

02-04-2009, 03:39 PM,
Just don't shoot the little ones that puff up like a beach ball....Last week, 8 people were sickened by ordering "Fugu" at a sushi restaurant.  The chef wasn't quite as experienced in preparing that dish as he should have been!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
02-05-2009, 02:58 PM,
I'm going with an instructor the first day,  then with a local guy if weather cooperates.
It's all new to me.  I guess I could pack my bag in a cooler on the way down and have it for fish if I get any.  I'd take any advise you are willing to offer.  I'm taking my wife with,  (likes to stay on land) so it's definately not a dive-only trip.  Next one might be though!
You going again before June?