Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diver one of sixteen to die using high-tech gear
03-04-2003, 06:54 AM,
Re:Diver one of sixteen to die using high-tech gear
If you want to do a "Try Dive" or just learn more check out Chuck Northrop's offer under Dive Shop Events
03-04-2003, 09:51 AM,
My entire premise was not that the CCR was going to get you slower out of the water than OC, but that the difference is extremely minimal for shorter dives and non-existent for the longer ones.
As far as deco is concerned and the profiles the WKPP runs, it is interesting to note that Weinke's RGBM model matches Irvine's profiles in shape. Yes these guys do push the limits in terms of deco and there have been cases of mild DCS, but then again nobody is doing dives of 300ft with a 3hour bottom time. Also, at the most recent Deep Stops Conference in Miami (organized by Naui, of which Weinke is oin the Board of Directors) there were quite a few presentations which showed theoretical evidence of the empirical data found by the WKPP.
The reason why they're using the RB80 is purely as a gas management tool - they still setup the entire dive so they can bailout on OC to complete the dive, and the RB80 does not mix their gas on the fly.
Buchaly and Co. are doing the same kinda dives in France at Doux de Coly, and they don't seem to have a problem with the CE regulations (but then again, the British are always kinda different from Continental Europe, mind you I'm a Belgian native so I can make this comment hehehe).
I have tried different deco scenarios, and I listen to my body. I can tell you I have never felt better than when I started using Decoplanner (or D-plan). This is not something I do because I have Diving God Syndrome - far from (which if you had read any of my previous posts on this forum you would have deducted), nor do I own a single piece of Halcyon equipment (surprise, surprise), nor do I have a GUE certification. I am open to try out new things and that's the very reason why I'm doing deco the way I do it right now. And yes, my times are shorter now and I do feel a lot better.
Your assumption that I will never dive a CCR are also unfounded. I believe that CCR's as technology stands nowadays is not something I'd consider for my diving, but this doesn't mean that this technology holds promise for the future.
As I said, I have an open mind, but I just don't go running off with the latest fad.
03-04-2003, 10:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-04-2003, 10:20 AM by DiverMole.)
Isnt a high pressure cylinder on your back, flowing air to your mouth via a demand valve and out into the water (SCUBA) the latest fad, That come into being a LONG time after rebreathers!!!!! Wink

It's legal to import a non CE RB into Europe for personal use, you just cant buy one here or use a non CE device commercially (WKPP would be considered commercial as its sponsored). You are right about the UK sticking to the rules though. All the other European countries just ignore the ones they dont like, especially France >Sad. But for once the UK is ignoring everyone else and about to restart the Crusades along with you guys :-\

Dont worry about the RB thing, there are plenty of others on their way to market and they will get better and cheaper. As I've said before, in 10 years you'll all be diving them 8)
Diver Mole
visit
03-04-2003, 10:53 AM,
It appears that a fair number of the deaths fall into the category of "did something stupid" (for me that includes solo) and a fair number of the remaining fall into the category of "we just don't know." It also appears that many shortcomings of the unit have either been taken care of at the factory or with add-on mods. Furthermore, it appears that with any remaining shortcomings, diving the unit intelligently and conservatively (ala DiverMole) (alpinists who said alpinists?) with a strong commitment (not just with $$) will do much to keep one out of the category of "Diver dies using high-tech gear."
Does that sum it up pretty well?
I still think CCRs are not for me but the thread has been informative.
Thanks guys for all the info.
T
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
03-04-2003, 11:51 AM,
RESPONSE TO FMT:
In my opinion, that's a great summary you just posted. Many of the deaths are in the "unknown" category so drawing conclusions as to what happened is pure speculation and is not backed up by any data.

I personally was never trying to argue that CCR's have less risk than OC equipment. In some ways CCR's have higher risk and in some ways lower risk. There are certainly more ways to make bad mistakes on CCR's than on OC. Overall, I think CCR's have generally higher risk, but I feel that I can deal with that through training, constant practice, good maintenance and diligence. The benefits I have seen to my diving since switching to a CCR are truely huge and for me personally are worth some added risk, but this is a judgement that each person has to make for himself.

CCR's are not for everyone and there is absolutely nothing wrong with diving strictly on OC equipment. I have no disrespect for anyone that decides CCR's are not for them. All I ask is that you make your decision based on facts. I dove OC for 14 years and had some awesome dives and there are people still achieving some amazing dives with OC. I carry OC equipment with me on every CCR dive for bailout.
__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.