Remember me
Lost Password Register

Leisure Pro or Dive Inn
08-28-2002, 11:03 AM,
Re:Leisure Pro or Dive Inn
Yup,<br>If the price is competitive I'll buy from the hometown too. A lot of time convenience wins out and I buy from the hometown anyway (but I usually pay for it Smile) <br><br>I suppose the dive shops will have to watch their markup on equipment to be more competitive, push the instruction and events areas of the business, and be awake to other capitol opportunities relative to the business.<br><br>It's not only competing with places like DiveInn, but there's e-bay and classifieds too.<br><br>Of course people prefer to shop hometown, who wouldn't ??? >Sad, and a lot of times I do it considering that - yes, it's nice to have a hardware store down the street.<br><br>For us that really watch the old buckeroos it's really tough sometimes ... holy cats - the savings!! I really don't have many options as far as purchasing specialized freediving equipment locally, I find that most dive shops don't seem to care for freedivers anway, I think they believe it can be almost (I wish) have cheap mask, fins, snorkel, will travel and then what's in it for them. Maybe that's another avenue for dive shops to look into. I think I'm pushing the thousands of dollars worth of freediving equipment now and looking for more, and considering a $600 freediving clinic next month in Florida or later this winter at a different location. <br><br>What? You think I'm a freediving fanatic? One of only a few? OK, OK, maybe ;D..<br><br>Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
08-28-2002, 12:57 PM,
FYI about European SCUBA PRO. It is my understanding that the European SCUBA PRO Regs are NOT the same as those models manufactured in USA i.e. a European Mk25 isn't manufactured like a USA Mk25. I have never made a first hand comparison but it might warrant further investigation if your thinking of purchasing any SCUBA PRO reg especially on-line. You'll always see Mk25 S600 combos going for $350 - $450. <br>Which at first glance, would seem a good price considering this would retail for around $800 at a dealer. I E-mailed 3 of these guys and 2 were European models (I never heard back from the 3rd guy).<br><br>So be careful!!! Cyber-space can be a cold cruel place.<br>
08-28-2002, 03:23 PM,
Are US scuba pro models "better" than European models?
--Jason
08-28-2002, 03:35 PM,
<br>Yeah...good question, ScubaPro's aren't made in the US right ???
08-28-2002, 03:46 PM,
I own a business; but I don't pretend to completely understand the dive shop business model. <br><br>I don't think dive shops can compete with online outlets based on a "buy local" mantra. They either need to compete by providing cheaper product, or better service. They can't compete with the volume of online sales. That leaves better service. Online companies are using technology to win and dive shops have to start using the same tools.<br><br>I should be able to buy product from a dive shop website and then go to the store to pick it up. I should be able to schedule tank rentals and sign up for classes online. The dive shop should email me when my tanks need a vip or hydro.<br><br>These kinds of services are not hard to create. Technology can help you service customers better if used properly. <br>
--Jason
08-28-2002, 07:25 PM,
Nicely put Jason, and I believe right on the money. I've ran into a few shops that really make me want to buy everything online including a compressor. The "buy local" thing can only go so far. I really don't like some shops attitude that they are doing me a favor by letting me buy their merchandise. Fortunatley, I think that there are a few shops that are starting to get this, and providing a little better pricing and much better service. To those that don't get it, well hopefully when they go under I can get some good deals.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
08-28-2002, 08:07 PM,
I have to add that I received my Suunto Cobra dive computer from Divers Inn and it came with Spanish directions, but Divers Inn knew I was English and sent a copy of the english manual with the package. Suunto is headquartered out of Finland, so the dive computer is already European made. I have not noticed any difference from my Cobra vs. one bought in the U.S., except that I saved $200 plus dollars.
08-29-2002, 05:35 AM,
I would like to weigh in re: some of the comments re: purchasing from local dive shops. I too like to support them but have also found some that are not customer friendly or sevice oriented. About 18 months ago I wanted to purchase 2 dry suits with undergarments and two regulators. I knew the brands and models I wanted-both items are top of the line. Since the total amount was around $6000 I wanted to shop Mn dive shops for the best price. One particular dive shop in the NW Minneapolis area would not quote me a price over the telephone. Since I don't live near the shop I tried to explain to the owner that it wasn't pratical for me to drive to his shop. He told me that a $6000 sale was not significant to his shop and that he did not do business over the telephone. I had 3 other shops in MN/WI provide me with firm quotes and good follow up. I ended up purchasing everything from one shop at a 20% discount. <br>
08-29-2002, 06:48 AM,
Sorry about the Scuba Pro confusion. Let me clarify. <br><br>First let me say this is what my Tri-mix instructor told me, I have known my instructor for 2 years and trust his knowlege of the industry. But I haven’t researched it beyond that. <br><br>Scuba Pro maintains manufacturing facilities in both the USA and in Europe. They both crank out G250's S600 Mk16's, Mk25 Etc.....However these regulators are the same in name only. My understanding is that the European models are significantly inferior in materials to their American counterparts. <br><br>From what my instructor said if you compare the two side by side the difference is obvious. <br>Does that mean that they don’t perform as well?....... I cant say. I am sure they will perfom fine for open water. <br><br>I do know that you can pick them up for about 1/2 the price of the American units and that old truism "You get what you pay for" Has reared its ugly head more times then I care to recall. <br> <br>Speaking for myself and the kind of diving I do I need to trust my equipment. A free flowing reg at 250ft will empty a tank pretty damn fast and Tri-mix is really expensive!!<br>That being said, I am going to avoid them. I would rather pay a little even a lot more to avoid that risk.
08-29-2002, 11:39 AM,
I would like to reply to Nomad: I too have found unfriendly shops. We dive with a lot of families with kids. I stopped in a dive shop in Moorehead and started talking about trips they had one that interested me, but when I told her we had kids that would be coming she cut me off there they don't want kids on the trip. <br>I believe in good service too. When we have people call and no matter how small of an article needed we will assist them. I have even gone as far if we don't handle it I will try to find someone that does and this has brought about good working relations between shops we have dealt with. On all orders we always try to work the best possible price.