Remember me
Lost Password Register

Question: padi ssi refresher course
02-10-2003, 09:14 AM,
Question: padi ssi refresher course
I haven't SCUBA'd in awhile.

I have a NASDS/SSI certification. I was wondering if I could take a refresher course at a PADI dive shop? Will they let me? Or is there a "fast track" PADI cert?

Thanks

Sheldon
02-10-2003, 10:11 AM,
Re:Question: padi ssi refresher course
Theoretically certification is for life so unless it has been a LONG time since you last dove all you should need is a refresher course. If it has been like 15 years or more since you last dove then yes maybe you should take the O/W course over again (perhaps in abbreviated form). If not then any scuba store that FORCES you to retake the basic O/W course just because your cert isn't with the p-guys is not a store you want to be affiliated with and you should seek out a different store. Most stores will not make you do that because they WANT you as a customer and you just take their p-guys refresher course regardless of who you did your O/W cert with (both SSI and PADI meet RSTC guidelines for their O/W courses).
Does that clarify things? Hope so.
T
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
02-10-2003, 10:15 AM,
You could do a crossover, but that is to an extent a waste of money as you'd have to, at the least, pay padi for a new c-card that in effect is no different than the one you have.

Since SSI is recognized by the major agencies, you should have no problems taking a refresher at any PADI/NAUI/SDI/other store. You just might have to buy a set of dive tables for the agency you're working with.
02-10-2003, 12:51 PM,

I agree with FMT. I was Certified PADI over 20 years ago and barely used it. I recertified PADI this past year. I'm glad I went that route instead of the refresher course. There are many changes since then.
02-11-2003, 01:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2003, 01:23 PM by ChrisW.)
Who is/are "we"?
02-11-2003, 01:22 PM,
That would be Tall Pine Scuba up in Virginia, Mn.
I.E. Lake Ore-be-gon (Mine Pit)

Thanks...Jean Smile
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
02-11-2003, 04:29 PM,
tpscuba-

I was surprised by your post..

You should know that there is no need to take a crossover course to PADI in order to take higher level PADI courses.

For the others on the board-
To take a higher level PADI course, all you have to do is show that you hold an equivalent prerequisite rating from another agency. For example, you can take the PADI advanced course if you hold an open water card from another of the major agencies. The only exception rests with the PADI Master Scuba Diver, which unlike with other agencies, isnt a class anyway.

Returning to the subject of taking a refresher vs. retaking a whole class, that's personal preference. If you don't think that a refresher would be enough practice, do the class. But save some money and dont pay the $15-20 for a new and unneccesary c-card.