Remember me
Lost Password Register

Weight Box
03-10-2009, 01:00 PM,
Weight Box
Can anyone recommend a good case for transporting weights to dive sites?  Do the little rubbermaid plastic bins from Home Depot hold up?
03-10-2009, 01:36 PM,
Re: Weight Box
I use a tool bag that has a zipper on top. I have put 60 lbs. in it and it has held up fine. I got it at ACE Hardware.
03-10-2009, 02:14 PM,
maybe my gear storage requirement is a bit different but what I've found works great are several stackable plastic milk crates.. If I want, six of them fit perfect, stacked in twos, in the Fit with room to spare.  It's easy to unload in the garage to as I can stack them six high if they aren't over flowing too much with stuff (usually, it's some of the snorkels that stick above the crate - sometimes).
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-10-2009, 03:43 PM,
I use a 5 gallon bucket.
03-10-2009, 05:10 PM,
I have a "cute" little canvas Gardening Bag that holds most of the weights that I routinely use, plus little pockets for things like a whistle, hand sanitizer, the ear drops I use after dives!  Darn little thing holds close on 40 lbs....I can barely carry it!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
03-10-2009, 05:15 PM,
I use a .50 cal ammo can - I know it will hold the weight and has a good handle.  downside is potential rust issues, but I try to be diligent about opening it up and drying stuff out.  but if it does start having major rust problems, a quick trip to a gunshow or FleetFarm will yield a $5-10 replacement that will last another bunch of years.
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
03-10-2009, 05:37 PM,
Hey Jon, We use 5 gallon buckets for transporting to/from pool & lakes but we modify them.  Take an old garden hose and cut it to the length of the bucket handle and slip the hose over the handle.  Makes it much nicer on the fingers.
03-10-2009, 09:17 PM,
Thanks for the replies guys.  I've got some good ideas.  The double bagged plastic target bags didn't seem to be working anymore.  Smile
03-11-2009, 08:13 AM,
I too use a bucket but I just want to remind everyone that lead is very toxic even in trace amounts so don't use your lead container for anything but lead. The soft leads produce a lot of dust so for your own long term health...
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
03-11-2009, 12:15 PM,
I don't use much wieght any more with the rebreather, but I still have an old bowling ball bag that I got at a garage sale. Worked well for a lot of years.
Bob