Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dry Hood
03-05-2009, 10:12 AM,
Dry Hood
Okay, I give.  Can anyone explain to me how this hood works for my own curiosity?  Seems like even if the regulator was inserted through the bottom of the hood the seal would be broken and the hood would push on the purge button.

03-05-2009, 10:41 AM,
Re: Dry Hood
At first I thought this hood was being marketed as a "dry" (vs. wet) hood.  But then I realized this was a hood designed for a dry suit.  The angle on the hood image is a little skewed.  At first you would think that bulge in front of the hood was covering your mouth.  But that section actually covers your chin while the opening stretches around your face. 

The regulator would never be inserted through the bottom of the hood or be obstructed by the hood in any way.  That would be a serious safety problem.  You always need to be able to switch your primary reg with a backup or a buddy.
--Jason
03-05-2009, 10:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-05-2009, 10:58 AM by arcFlash.)
Jason and I posted at the same time so mine is a little off the mark. I too assumed it was a dry hood and not a hood for a dry suit.

I have a latex dry hood (glued to the suit at the neck seal seam) and love it but it took many dives to learn how to use (aka control) it. take note that a dry hood means you need to equalize it as well and it doesn't have a 'hood inflator' so you need to learn to vent your mask into the hood when needed. If you don't equalize, it crushed your ears and make clearing them difficult. At 70 feet it's so unpleasant you pull the chin open and flood the hood to get ride of the pain thus defeating the 'dry' in hood. You need to exhaust the hood on the way up as well.

Once you learn how to use dry hoods, you'll never do back to wet. I can ice dive all day and my hair stays dry, that's huge when you don't have a shelter.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
03-05-2009, 10:45 PM,
Fair enough.  The picture makes the outward dent look like something that would fit over your nose so I assumed it was somehow designed to cover more of the face.  I had just talked to Scott down at Seaya Diving about the true dry hood.  Sounds interesting.  I'm thinking the neoprene hood should be good for now for me.  Thanks for figuring this one out for me.