Remember me
Lost Password Register

Mille Lacs ice dive
03-22-2009, 09:23 AM,
Mille Lacs ice dive
Did a dive on Mille Lacs yesterday. Very dissapointing, no anchors and only 1 small walleye and a eelpout. Im new to ice diving and using a hand saw seems dumb. Do most peeps use a hand saw or a chain saw? I wanted to use the 4 wheeler to get the ice chunk out too, but we didnt, now my back is killing me. Maybe im just a wuss. ???
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
03-22-2009, 10:26 AM,
Re: Mille Lacs ice dive
You didn't find anything because we found it all 2 weeks ago! ;D
03-22-2009, 07:21 PM,
Dam the bad luck. What did you score? Smile
03-22-2009, 07:41 PM,
Ipod, GPS, casting reel, old Ckoe bottles and assorted other non working items :Smile
03-23-2009, 09:16 AM,

We use a chainsaw and this   to get the ice out. Much easier on the back! Some pre scouting usually pays good dividend on the booty. The better the fishing spot, the more lost booty. location, location, location.
03-23-2009, 10:48 AM,
That sounds like a way better way to go. Screw old school, next time a small charge of high explosives. >Big Grin
03-23-2009, 03:09 PM,
About the only time we use a hand saw is when the ice is too thick for our chainsaw with a three foot bar.  HAVING SAID THAT....Shooter and I have wanted the dive so bad that we have actually opened up a hole in three+ foot of ice with a chain saw that only had an 18" bar.  The real trick was to remove as much of the ice from the hole as possible without breaking through to the water until the last second.  As ya know once you get through the ice to the water the hole fills up very very quickly. 

We posted a bunch of photos that year but here is a short video clip.

03-23-2009, 08:39 PM,

that or just get an old fashoned ice saw... 

"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun