Remember me
Lost Password Register

Local diving -Must do dive sites
03-16-2009, 10:22 AM,
Local diving -Must do dive sites
I have been compiling a list of dive sites in MN (and a few in WI) that I would like to dive this year.

I was curious what the member of the board think:

What are dives that are MUST do’s.?
Are there any dives that are unique to Minnesota and this area?
Are there any dive sites that stand out in your mind as being particularly cool, and why?

What places are MUST dives while living up here? 
03-16-2009, 10:34 AM,
Re: Local diving -Must do dive sites
My first thought is the wrecks up in Superior -- Madeira/Hesper by shore and Isle Royale by boat.

I think some of the wrecks in Milwaukee harbor and up in Door County WI are fun. 

Otherwise for regional shore dives I would include Lake Wazee, the Cuyuna mine pits, and the mines up by Biwabik -- Lake Mine and St. James.

Check out the divesites link on the top menu of this site for maps.
--Jason
03-16-2009, 12:05 PM,

I have checked out the divesite link.  In a land of +10,000 lakes there are plenty of placed to go diving. 

I am looking for the most unique/impressive/coolest/interesting places in the area.  Thats why I started this thread.
03-16-2009, 04:19 PM,
I don't think many would argue with what Jason mentioned as being the "Best" dive sites to dive for good visibility and things to see. I think Lake Superior is hands down the best place to dive in my opinion.  I think the Cuyuna pits up near Crosby Ironton offer the "widest variety" of things to see due to the amount of pits and dive sites to choose from.  Lake Ore Be Gone in Gilbert, MN up on the Iron Range is unique in having man made attractions put in specifically for divers (Planes, Helicopters, school bus, rail car speeders, boats).  The visibility hasn't been as good in recent years at Ore Be Gone but it still usually is anywhere from 15 to 20 feet.  Lake Mine and St. James Pit offer the clearest visibility of all of the inland lake dive sites in the state that I have personally seen.  On a couple of occasions on a sunny day I have been able to see surface ripples on St. James Pit from 110 feet down!  I've seen some of the Cuyuna mine pits on occasion come close to the visibility of Lake Mine and St. James but generally they are a tad lower in water clarity.  One other lake that I have heard rave reviews on from our member AandA is Caribou Lake north of Grand Rapids, MN.  That one is on my list to visit this year.  Caribou is supposed to have excellent visibility and a unique contour.  Of course there are many lakes to dive but you need to ask yourself what are the most important features you are looking for?  The lakes mentioned above are the definate "A" list for MN.  I don't think there are too many people that would argue with that.  If lower visibility and/or the chance to explore sites that not many divers have ventured into then you are right...there are plenty of options.  I think for most divers me included, once you have dived the lakes with the best visibility...diving in lakes that aren't very clear become kind of a let down.  When I first started diving just being in the water was awesome but after logging hundreds of dives you start to become more selective with the sites you dive.
03-16-2009, 08:54 PM,
The lakes listed above are certainly in the "tops", but there are certainly lakes much closer that can be good.  Spectacle Lake near the Princeton/Cambridge area can give you about 20-25' of vis into August.  It gets Rec. use so there can be some items to find.

Minnetonka is one of my favorites.  Some areas give you 10' or more with tons of stuff to find.  Tough to find diver-friendly access and on a sunny Sat. or Sun. afternoon, you are risking major bodily harm with the boaters.  Other days are much better.

Lake Elmo can be good, however the Park Police can be very hit and miss when it comes to divers.  I have never been harrassed, but I have heard of many who have.

Lake Phalen was great up until a year ago, viz went way down (and crime went way up)  Plenty of things to find.  Hopefully, this year will be better.

Another tip:  Look in the lake map books available at almost any sporting good stores.  I have found that the sechi disc readings don't mean much, but fish life does.  If the lake has been stocked with trout, It will be divable. 

If you stumble across any others, don't keep em' a secret- Jeff
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
03-17-2009, 09:07 AM,
Yeah, what the heck is up with Lake Phalen? I remember doing clean up dives there and I thought it was a nice area.  Now I wouldn't go diving there without a spear gun and a big dive knife.
--Jason
03-17-2009, 10:01 AM,
Other may disagree but the best we have is not a place but a time. Winter. The vis is way up from summer. You can dive the Minnetonka wrecks without getting run over. It's more work but you don't need to wade in, carry out, haul gear... No dirt and sand.

Anything you can see in Summer if better in Winter. It's like boat diving only from your truck.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
03-19-2009, 01:22 PM,
Hey Steve,

Did you ever buy a chainsaw?  Laugh at me for those big holes, but tell ya what, thank God I had nothing but net.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
03-19-2009, 06:19 PM,
No body has lived, until you have taken my adv. op. water class and made two dives in lake worth. When you go home even the dogs wont play with you.
03-19-2009, 09:10 PM,
The Ottertail River is nice in the spring.  If you don't mind getting skewered on snags if not paying attention.  Usually lots of fish.

I usually get scared if I can see outside my mask though.  I guess it's agoraphobia from the thousands of dives when I haven't been able to.
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain