Remember me
Lost Password Register

When Will It Implode?
03-27-2009, 05:28 PM,
When Will It Implode?
So I've been thinking about some stuff that, is well, very boring. But it's driven some questions and it's possibly interesting to others.

When will a 5-gallon pail implode? (at depth) Assume it started at 1 atm absolute. I'll take guess' (cuz it's fun) but I'd prefer math or something qualitative.

How much pressure can you put into it without the lid blowing off?

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
03-27-2009, 06:21 PM,
Re: When Will It Implode?
My husband says "since the lid is not on, it will never implode!"  And "The lid will blow off when the pressure inside reaches it's max!"  Isn't he smart!!!

My guess is that the pressure of water against the fairly rigid material of a 5 gallon bucket would require more water pressure than what I can create by pulling it down behind me as I descend!  Damn, I need to go to Crosby soon!!!  And then I would need to use my 30 c/f or larger pony tank on the way up!

On the other hand, if there is no lid on the bucket, the air would get pressurized as the water fills up inside the bucket..

Or...If it's already filled with concrete....(Right Grumpie!)
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
03-27-2009, 07:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-27-2009, 10:45 PM by scubadog76.)
For what it is worth, a 20 oz, plastic mountain dew bottle will not burst when filled at 110' feet and brought back up to the surface.(rock hard though).  I have heard the thing to "pressure test" is a rectangle, metal gas can.  I have not had the pleasure of trying yet-
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
03-27-2009, 09:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-27-2009, 09:18 PM by aknelsonone.)

Just remember water is a non compresseble liquid therefore the bottle will come up fine. The outcome might be different when you fill the bottle with air at 130' and let the soda bottle float up..
I guess for the 10 gallon bucket you better get some twin 110's and stages for the test....It might leak and you can stay in recreational limits.....

Andreas
Andreas
03-28-2009, 07:47 AM,
Assume a lid. If you close a new pail on land with 1 atm air in it. what is the crush depth?

I expect failure to be too violent to be near so I have to plan out a weight system and a way to monitor it from afar.
03-29-2009, 08:13 PM,
The failure won't be that violent.  Remember, it's an implosion, so it will just collapse, no shrapnel to worry about.  Just don't be under it, or attached to it, because the lift will dissapear and the 42+ pounds of counterweight required to sink the thing from the surface will suddenly become negative.
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain
03-30-2009, 12:53 PM,

I am going to have to try it with a 2 liter bottle!  >Big Grin
03-30-2009, 03:52 PM,
We can take some data from Mythbusters. I think they rated a 2 liter at 90psi before it blew. That mean you need to fill it with air below 202 feet. If you saw the episode, you would not want to be holding it when it popped.

03-30-2009, 07:54 PM,
im sure you could get balloons filled just enough to burst before they surface... kind of like a reverse depth charge (might be a good demo of why not to hold your breath when ascending)

hurmm might be my youtube goal as soon as ice is gone..
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
03-31-2009, 11:08 AM,

Yet another good reason to get trimix!  ;D