Remember me
Lost Password Register

Omega Flip Fins
03-30-2009, 06:44 PM,
Omega Flip Fins
I placed an order for these and I am looking forward to trying them.  Must be new, hardly no body has heard of them and no Dive shops that I have called so for in Minnesota have either not heard of them or dont have them.  Check out this site!

03-30-2009, 07:41 PM,
Re: Omega Flip Fins
very novel.... can i go rock climbing with these too?

nice way to place a product in your first post as well
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
03-30-2009, 08:01 PM,
Ive seen someone using these or something like them at one of the Ice diving gatherings I went to this winter.  I don't know how well they work, but they do look a bit funny.

Jeff
Jeff
03-31-2009, 08:36 AM,
I know a guy that's been using them since they came out and he really likes them. I don't know about performance but he needed the ease of donning on land. He locks then down once he's in the water by rubbing one against the other (like a cricket) .

Durability seams reasonable, he's active and has the same beat up pair from last year.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
03-31-2009, 11:35 AM,

Whats the deal?  Come to a site and deal with this right away.  Cant wait to ask another question to see what your response is.  This is a Equipment disscussion forumn isnt it?
03-31-2009, 02:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2009, 02:35 PM by Hydro.)
heh, i might have been kind of harsh... im just really confused about these fins...

1. isnt just as much effort to monkey with flipping them up/ flip down and lock as it is to take them off or put them on?

2. seems like these are adding an unnecessary level of complexity to have go wrong on a dive...  what do you do when the lock breaks at a bad time?

3. what if i have to climb over rocks and i have these on, can they take the abuse a boot could?
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
03-31-2009, 03:07 PM,
I kind of agree with Hydro. I was trying to keep an open mind in the post but to be honest I think they are a joke and I wouldn't use them in a pool.

Those of us that try and remove complexity (ie failure points) from our gear have a difficult time putting comfort first. I kick a pair of heavy hard rubber Jet fins because I can't stand the idea of anything plastic.

Lastly, Not all gear is good for local condition. These may be great for blue water drift dives but an exit in Lake Superior surf breaks a lot of gear.

Please post more and don't take others posts too seriously. Many of us have strong opinions but we are mostly harmless and reasonably friendly.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
03-31-2009, 06:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2009, 06:33 PM by DetectorGuy.)
I saw them a while ago and the first thing I thought of is how they "could" benefit a Safety Rescue Diver: They could be in the locked up position while messing with gear on shore during a dark, rainy night. The drysuit and BC could be on while untangling tether ropes or rolling up a body bag. Then dragging gear to the edge of a riverbank. When everything is ready. Walk into the river and flip them down... BANG, your divin'. The "90% ready diver" could shave time on their last 10% of gear to don during an issue with Diver 1. I would agree that the possible durability aspect would need to be considered. They are probably not for everyone. I probably would not get them myself but that's just me. I do love the gadgets though, like the Slingshot fins. When it comes right down to it, the saying "The more you have, the more you have to go wrong" comes to mind. We just were discussing these fins at a Dan O2 class on Thursday.... Ironic.
03-31-2009, 07:30 PM,
Thanks for the inside information and the honest opinions.  Yes, I feel stupid for saying that, but oh well.  All I can do is atleast try them out and if I dont find them to be good use for me I can always sell them or return them.  For me walking into water from a beach would do good for me.  Also I do worry about the hinge, cause like all hobbies we dont want extra moving parts that could break or fail.  But then its not to difficult to put fins on in the water, but we will see.  Thanks and sorry for jumping the gun!