Remember me
Lost Password Register

U/W Metal Detectors?
04-10-2009, 08:58 PM,
U/W Metal Detectors?
Of those of you who have underwater metal detectors or have borrowed/ rented them.  Tell me the details, dish the dirt, who makes good ones, which ones aren't worth the $$?
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
04-11-2009, 07:28 PM,
Re: U/W Metal Detectors?
I have Two Garrett Seahunter Mark 2 metal detectors. They are not top of the line but they work well for me. They are very convertible. You can mount the battery/controls on top, bottom or wear it on your hip in a nylon pouch. The length of the thing can be easily shortened to make it more scuba friendly. It is a pulse induction type and that is supposed to be the key to using in in fresh or salt water (It works well in high mineral concentrations). I have heard that the ULF (Ultra low frequency) models work well too but I think these are more for use in salt water only (don't quote me). It is supposed to be good for 200 foot depth although I have only brought them down to 40' so far They don't have a gauge to watch when it detects metal but it beeps in your underwater headphones. It is supposed to have a discrimination capability but I turn it up to "detect everything" and I "dig everything". I have heard that if you set the discrimination to eliminate aluminum, that Gold is detected on the same frequency as aluminum and you might be missing something good. It takes 8 AA batteries and to be honest I have had the two detectors for almost 2 years and I haven't changed the batteries yet. No lie, The things uses very little power. The things work on land too just as well as on the bottom but you have to wear the dorky headphones and they are a magnet that draws people over to see what you are doing. Fisher and Tesoro make good ones too and if you are interested do a ton of research and see what features you might use most.
04-11-2009, 08:28 PM,
Re: U/W Metal Detectors?
Thanks for the info!  I just got a "Bounty Hunter" from Cabelas, it's a surface type not under water, but I'm hoping it may find something interesting.  Right off the bat, my son was getting hits on the "Aluminum-Tin" and "coins" on the screen.  I dug down in our yard and discovered (probably) a former flower bed with metal edging!  All that was down about 4-6 inches under ground. 

Now I'm thinking about checking out the lakes....
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!