Remember me
Lost Password Register

Key Largo dive report and photos - 4/12-4/15
04-17-2009, 11:52 AM,
Key Largo dive report and photos - 4/12-4/15
My wife and I got back last night from a six day trip to Key Largo (and a final deco day in Miami). This was our second trip to KL in the past four months. Both times we have gone out with Jeff on HMS Minnow. He is excellent and I highly recommend him to anyone looking for a good smaller boat and individualized service.

Dive conditions were mixed. Middling viz and colder water temp (73) on Sunday than we planned for. We dove the Benwood wreck first and it was a good opportunity to try out some new gear (a BC and a new camera strobe). The viz was about 30' and fish life was outstanding. Schools of yellow grunts, parrotfish, barracuda, pipefish and a big stingray who just laid on the deck of the wreck the whole time we were down.

(anyone know what this guy is?)

Next we dove French Reef. Viz was still just OK. Highlights of the dive were a few swimthroughs (Christmas Tree and Hourglass caves) and an inquisitve grouper.

Monday we tried to get out to the Duane. By the time we reached the mooring buoys, the swells were up to five feet and the buoys were being pulled under by the current. Same story as last year. So we aborted and went to see about the Spiegel Grove. We had dived that in December and were eager to get back to it. Same conditions and Jeff was wasting gas just ferrying my wife and I around. So it was back to the Benwood and French, the only spots with no current, according to all reports. The Benwood was good again and we approached the wreck from a different angle. French was OK again but viz was deteriorating.

Tuesday, conditions were too bad to go out so we opted for some kayaking at Pennekamp State Park and napping and reading in the afternoon. A rest day was welcome actually. We watched the crabs dig their holes in the sand.

Wednesday was our last day and we hoped to get back on the Duane and wanted to hit Molasses. Good omen as we pulled out of the harbor - a pod of dolphins passed alongside the boat. When we reached the wreck location, surface waves were choppy but u/w current was nonexistent and a big sea turtle surfaced to check out the boat while we got ready to dive. Another good omen. We went down the line, hand over hand to the smokestack, passing big schools of barracuda. The viz was terrible (10 feet) but we still enjoyed the dive. We swam out to the bow and around back along the superstructure to the crow's nest. I managed one decent shot up, of the 'cudas and crow's nest.

We finished the day at Molasses and it was spectacular. We worked the sand channels between the spurs of coral and lingered around Windlass Hole. I spotted a familiar shape - a four-foot reef shark cruised past us and we tried to keep up but (s)he was gone in a hurry. Such a thrill to see such beautiful creatures.

All in all, a good week of diving, though conditions were mixed.
04-17-2009, 02:48 PM,
Re: Key Largo dive report and photos - 4/12-4/15
I think your unidentified fish is a Sand Diver a.k.a. Lizardfish.

Jeff
Jeff
05-08-2009, 02:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-08-2009, 02:46 PM by arcFlash.)
I have tickets to the Keys at the end of the month. Anyone want to give me a "to do" list or advise I'll take it. I don't know anything about the place. We are starting in Key Largo and ending at Key West.

I'd like to maximize my water time so if snorkeling is available can you tell me where. The guide books don't list any but the fort.

Should I book dive charters before I go or can I pick them up as needed?

Party of 4 divers.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
05-08-2009, 02:59 PM,
If you want tons of information on the Keys, slide on over to Lots of reading. Last time there I used
Also while at ScubaBoard there is a lot of information on places to eat and stay. We stayed at really liked the place, centrally located and kind of reminded me of a resort up north.
Have fun, Al
05-09-2009, 10:07 AM,

I recommend getting ahold of mobile diver on spearboard. He has a nice cat boat and will take you all over multiple dives and dive sites, almost like diving middle grounds. he can probably hook u up with a speargun 8)