Remember me
Lost Password Register

GPS 2009 LakeMaster® ProMap Minnesota Card
04-21-2009, 12:22 PM,
GPS 2009 LakeMaster® ProMap Minnesota Card
I heard that Lowrance is coming out with a new chip for their H20C hand held GPS. I am going to purchase the GPS and the 2009 chip very soon. the new chip boasts of having "Western Lake Superior in amazing 3 foot contours, Duluth Harbor and St.Louis River in 1 foot contours". No I am not affiliated with any of these companies but I think they would be really cool for dive planning especially when this chip now includes Superior from Duluth to the Apostle Islands in 3' contours! The Down side is that the H20C is coming off the market this year and future chips may not be available for it. How often do most people upgrade their chips anyway.  The other draw back is that it doesnt come out for a couple weeks (May first 2009). Here is a link to their site and you can read the details and decide for your self if its cool or not.

04-21-2009, 03:27 PM,
Re: GPS 2009 LakeMaster® ProMap Minnesota Card
I don't upgrade my cartography. I'm still using 1999 and that is based on USGS from the 70's. I update my paper charts with "Notice To Mariners"  once a year (it's monthly) and ask locals if any "Aids to Navigation" have been changed or lost in storms before I cast off. They usually have the best information. Sand bars move way too much to trust anything but a keel to tell you the depth. (Black River Harbor)

I transfer my fix to paper and keep deck logs (heading, bearing, avg speed, wind, lat., lon., waves) about every hour or course change. I plot on my charts with soft pencil and make notes of hazards. I have a historic record going back 10 years on one chart. I wouldn't upgrade it.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.