Remember me
Lost Password Register

freediving in MN?
04-23-2009, 12:19 PM,
freediving in MN?
I have a growing interest in trying apnea diving. Are there any classes offered or places to try in MN?
04-23-2009, 01:22 PM,
Re: freediving in MN?
ive only done freediving in bwca really... id guess an open pit mine would also be good... might be wasting your time with a lot of lakes since they are mostly muck... you could always try at at square on the platforms.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
04-23-2009, 02:08 PM,
There are a lot of freediving opportunities in MN/WI.  I've been freediving for years and really enjoy it up here.  Crosby mines, Wazee, Lake Superior, St. Cloud Quarries, any lake with good carp for spearing (Fred,Roland, that's you guys)

Visibility in a lot of places are pretty good, and the important thing is that you're holding your breath, swimming, relaxing, and enjoying the outdoors.  Visibility has very little to do with anything.

Always think of low vis as training; great vis as fortunate, and you will always have a great time in the water.
04-23-2009, 04:02 PM,

O.k...  got it.
dang I love freediving  Smile,

I have been approached about teaching freediving this summer through a local dive shop, but so far I just haven't had the time to put anything together.  If I knew there was good interest, I might put forth a better effort, but now, when I have time off, the feet tend to go up on the couch.  Especially for safeties sake, it would be good to spend time with someone knowledgeable in the sport and for that reason, I'm considering doing it.

I don't know of any freediving specific classes in mn.
Cold and dark down there huh?
04-30-2009, 07:43 PM,
any lake with good carp for spearing (Fred,Roland, that's you guys)

While I have only met Roland once,  I wouldn't call him or Fred Carp; (well,  maybe Fred) and I'm pretty sure spearing them will just tick 'em off.. ;D.

If either of them teach a course in freediving,  I'll take the first class they offer.

Just make sure you have a buddy (much more important,  in my opinion) than for compressed air diving;  and have fun!

Non-divers seem so,  well,  shallow.
06-18-2009, 07:15 PM,
im no expert in spearhunting, but we have been having some success spearhunting metro lakes. carp are just at the end of the spawn. about a month late roughly. monday we saw alot on tonka.vis on back bays was probably 8-12ft range(good for sum) too easy as they will swim up to you and check you out. and actualy im out of garden space for planting Carp!
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
07-21-2009, 04:59 PM,
I don't know of any freediving classes myself.  I used to practice freediving skills (statics, dynamics) at the local YMCA, but they now have rules against hyperventilation and prolonged breathholding.  About the closest you can come to a freediving club in the Twin Cities is with the Loons underwater hockey team.  They play nearly every Wednesday and Sunday and you can practice freediving skills for about an hour before the practice game begins...