Remember me
Lost Password Register

LP or HP tank?
04-28-2009, 01:51 PM,
LP or HP tank?
I am looking to extend my air supply for deeper rec limit dives.  Looking for a steel 130.

Question is LP or HP?  What are the pros and cons of each besides physical size?  What do you tech guys use?  Again just looking for that little bit of extra air for the deeper dives.

Thanks
04-28-2009, 02:12 PM,
Re: LP or HP tank?
HP

I have 4 lp 120's I bought when I was told that you had to use lp with a yoke. Not!
04-28-2009, 02:40 PM,

Hey Raider,
                              I run both HP and LP steels for deeper diving in the Great Lakes. I prefer HP, for the advantages,,,,, smaller profile on your back, take up less room on my boat on Isle Royale, more negitively bouyant. Some disadvantages too, though, I found it tougher to get full fills up on the UP from some of the backwater dive shops, (run out of someones garage) I always thought above 3300 PSI you were spose to be using DIN, but I've used some of my Al 80s that were blasted up to 3800 PSI with a yoke, YIKES! I've got 17 cylinders, and been diving for 28 years, and remember when the new "genisis cylinders" as 3500 PSI Al were suppose to replace the Al 80, that is pretty much (world wide) the standard on the industry, so much for that change, lol, shoot me any specific questions you may have. I'm headed to the Keys tomorrow morning for a week of wreck diving with my new camera, so it may take me that long to get back to you,,,,,,,,,T
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
04-28-2009, 03:07 PM,
One consideration, if your goal is to is increase your air supply, is where you will be filling your tanks. If you have a HP tank, but can only get a a 3000 psi fill, you may end up with less air than if you had a LP tank.
04-28-2009, 03:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-28-2009, 04:47 PM by LKunze.)
I use LP's for doubles and a HP 130 for single tank diving.  The LP version of the 130 is a 108. HP's cost more but I like them both.  You can dive HP's with a yoke but I like the DIN connection better plus you can get the steel o-ring sealed DIN plugs to screw into your valves when you aren't using the tank which not only protects the valve from deformity and dirt getting inside but it also secures your air in case a valve gets rolled on accidentally.  The plugs have saved a few dives for me when that has happened in the past.
04-28-2009, 05:08 PM,
take your question into consideration, if its longer bottom times and your leaning towards technical dives. i would think your best bet would be doubles...just my .02
We take these risks, not to escape life but to prevent life from escaping us
06-06-2009, 07:44 AM,
I used to own 3 sets of Low Pressure doubles, I never had a problem getting the tanks filled. I had buddies who had the High Pressure doubles, and they all wished they had gone Low Pressure.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
06-06-2009, 08:04 AM,

I agree here. I snagged a set from a sucker...... er guy who needed some cash and I like it. >Big Grin ;D ;D
06-06-2009, 09:43 AM,
To answer the OP's question we need to know how much air you need and what fills you can get.

as example, a low pressure 104 filled to 2640psi is about 104-106 cubic feet however... Technically speaking if you don't get the + at hydro time then your LP tank can only be filled to 2400psi making no longer a 104 so your not getting the full potential of the tank.

In Florida and other places where cave divers frequent there is something called a "cave fill" which unscientifically speaking means jamming as much air as one can into a LP tank up to the hydro pressure or beyond (ie 5/3's the fill rating).  Filling that same LP 104 to 3500psi or so will get you in the ball park of 130 cubic ft (I dont have a calculator handy to get the exact numbers)

Then filling a HP 130 to 2640psi or the rating of that LP tank should yield about 104 cubic feet.

So what does that mean? size wise a LP 104 and a HP 130 are pretty much the same tank. The only major difference is the fill rating. Your going to be carrying around a tank of about the same size and weight.

In the end having a HP tank will allow you to fill you tanks to a higher pressure LEGALLY yet if a good compressor isn't available you will get a good amount of gas even at a lower fill pressure.

IMHO I wouldn't recommend a yoke connection to anyone buying a new tank/reg. though a yoke will work fine on a higher pressure fill it is not designed for "technical" diving and most instructors wont accept yoke regs anymore for tech classes. The yoke handle is a great snag point also. If your on the fence about yoke or DIN go 200bar din, you can buy a threaded insert (or the valves usually come with them) to allow you to use a yoke reg. Generally speaking a DIN valve has a better resale value also. I own almost 20 tanks and a dozen regs and converted everything to DIN a long time ago. its way more expensive to convert them then to buy them already DIN and have a couple adapters laying around...

With all that said I wouldn't recommend anyone go buy a huge cylinder for single tank diving. your more likely to push NDL with a bigger gas supply and having a big cylinder on your back can be unbalanced feeling. getting twin tanks of a smaller capacity will afford you redundancy and they are more comfortable on your back. If you have aluminum 80's laying around use them for doubles, they work well if you have a V-weight to offset the buoyancy of the tanks. besides that 2 aluminum 80's gives you 160 cubic feet of gas  meaning you could use the full potential of what the largest steel single cylinder could provide and not come back empty. Most places can fill to 3000psi too so depending on what fills you can get this should be a factor.

A steel tank will have a better resale value but an aluminum 80 is a handy tank to have around. their light weight design lends them well to staging or decompression use and rebreather divers like them for bailout too.

If your hell bent on getting a big capacity steel cylinder I would argue for a HP tank simply because you can get them legally filled to a higher pressure yet at the lower pressure they are the same capacity as the LP tanks anyway.

Hopefully that helps...

T
06-06-2009, 04:03 PM,

I agree here. I snagged a set from a sucker...... er guy who needed some cash and I like it. >Big Grin ;D ;D
[/quote]

just remember this sucker also has alot of other stuff you need, pay up biatch!! >Big Grin >Big Grin >Big Grin
We take these risks, not to escape life but to prevent life from escaping us