Remember me
Lost Password Register

OMS IQ Harness
02-13-2003, 10:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-13-2003, 10:11 AM by Skruff.)
OMS IQ Harness
I have been looking at moving from my Seaquest Balance BC to a Back Plate and harness. I unfortunately didn't make it to SD&T's H2 Demo last weekend to try out a back plate. But I do have a question if anyone has some comments etc..

I noticed that OMS also has an IQ Harness that would allow you to use different wings and single or double tanks. Being that the main reason I'm moving to a Back Plate is so I will have this summer to dive with it and get comfortable with the back plate, long hose etc.. I plan to to then take the Advanced Nitrox/Decompression TDI course next year so I want to be able to use doubles. What are everyone's thoughts, experience, option on the IQ system vs. back plate???

Chris Bloss
02-13-2003, 10:29 AM,
Re:OMS IQ Harness
I haven't used the IQ harness, but I dislike it's design in relation to that of a standard bp/wing setup.

You really don't need the extra padding on the back, the plastic clips aren't too durable, the crotch strap is pretty narrow, and I particularly dislike the sternum strap.

Of course, if you like it, go for it; I just wouldn't buy one.
02-13-2003, 02:29 PM,
Chris (as in Berta Bloss?), you should read the H2 document posted in the advanced discussions. The gear emphasis is on streamlining and simplification along with many more areas of emphasis. Honestly the IQ pack, while it looks nice, is niether streamlined nor simplified. A backplate/harness will do you well for doubles and, with a single tank adapter, also work well for singles. Both systems allow you to use different wings and you DO want to use different sized wings for singles and doubles. I agree with cdtgray, the IQ has extra less durable parts that you really don't need. I would recommend you stop by SDT on a Friday. You could then talk with one of the guys that helped write the H2 paper posted in advanced discussions. I did.
T
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
02-13-2003, 02:55 PM,
Thanks for the input. I assumed I would get the responses that I recieved. Just thought I would see what all the opions were. I figure I might as well ask the question. I just need to do a few dives with a back plate and then I'll never go back to my BC.

FMT- Do you know Berta??? And yes she is my sister.
Chris Bloss
02-13-2003, 07:20 PM,
I second FMT's comments above. I have not dove with an IQ Harness but have seen a couple up close. It is a lot of extra "stuff" with no real benefit. I think you will be much, much happier sticking with a backplate and continuous piece of 2" webbing. This is a much simpler set up that is also much more flexible. BTW, the Balance is a an excellent BC as far as BCs go. It is the only BC I have seen that I would recommend to anyone who was opposed to going to a backplate/harness system (although I would have to question their reasoning in the first place). It has probably prepared you more for a backpalte/harness setup than you realize.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
02-28-2003, 03:06 PM,
I just wanted to throw in my two cents worth. I have used many configurations (and BCs) over the years, including backplate/harness as well as the IQ. The IQ has held up well for several seasons diving both single tank and twins with stage bottles. If you take a close look at the IQ, the Dive Rite Transpac, and others, they are really almost just another type of harness. These types can be used in conjunction with backplates and work well with many different air cells. They also allow you to keep it clean or add pockets and other items as the configuration dictates. It is important to remember that just because someone else likes or dislikes a piece of equipment does not make it so for everyone else. Good luck in your search for the option that best suits you.
Safe diving