Remember me
Lost Password Register

Snorkling Gear Newbie
05-29-2009, 02:26 PM,
Snorkling Gear Newbie
I've been thinking about doing this for a bit so I think this summer I'll get started. I'd like to eventually get certified and do some scuba diving, but thought snorkling would be a good start.

I'm looking to get a set of mask, fins and snorkel. Is there any big no nos that I could stay away from? I'd like to get something decent, but also realize, I'm not going to spend a fortune on something I'm just starting with.

Thanks!
05-29-2009, 03:58 PM,
Re: Snorkling Gear Newbie
As far as the mask goes the most important thing is one that fits.  Your local dive shop should be able to help you out there with getting a proper fit.  You probably want a smaller mask with lower volume.  They tend to be more streamlined and have a better range of view.  Snorkels are snorkels in my opinion.  You can get a dry snorkel or something with a purge if you want but it's not necessary and is extra money you do not need to spend.  Snorkels are pretty easy to clear.  As far as fins go if you intend to scuba dive I'd recommend getting an open heal fin and some wetsuit boots.  There are a lot of fins out there to choose from but basic blade style fins work just fine.  I've tried split fins and didn't care for them but to each their own on that.
05-31-2009, 10:50 PM,
Thanks for the response! I was kind of planning on getting something a little less expensive since I'll just be trying this for now. Though I know I don't want to be wasting money on something I'll have to replace if I get more serious. I'd like to end up with a wet suit, mask, snorkel and fins this year. Hopefully that won't run more than a couple hundred bucks...
06-01-2009, 06:43 AM,
just like Kunze mentioned the mask first, I put most weight on the mask.  you need a good fitting mask, all else is do-able even if it doesn't quite fit or work right.. but a mask, especially for a beginner, needs to fit.  I don't know how much you know about snorkeling equipment but a new mask needs to get cleaned with a mild cleaner.. non-abrasive toothpaste, baby shampoo, or similar, sometimes many times before it will stop fogging up.  No matter how much anti-fog or how good your spit is, a new mask will fog over quickly if it isn't cleaned. Some masks seem to need a lot of cleanings before they'll quit fogging.
Find some good clear water to go snorkeling in the first time.. it won't be disappointing!
Cold and dark down there huh?
06-01-2009, 01:32 PM,
I just stopped by SeaYa in Shakopee and Scott down there was very helpful. Looks like I'll be able to get what I need in my budget. My only issue now is going to be water temps until it warms up a bit. I'll eventually probably want a wetsuit, but I don't think I'll commit to that yet. Hopefully I'll get going soon though!
06-03-2009, 10:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2009, 03:49 PM by arcFlash.)
I recommend a black skirt on the mask. It blocks light bleeding in from the sides and washing out everything. Think of looking out of a dark house. The clear masks with side windows are very nice but only for very clear water.

I own many mask and only dive the black mask which also cost the least.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
06-06-2009, 07:40 AM,
I agree with arcFlash on this one, the dark skirt will eliminate/reduce the sunlight that reflects off the water.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201