Remember me
Lost Password Register

Poll: Would you be interested in some lake clean up dive get togethers?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
100.00%
21 100.00%
No
0%
0 0%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Lake clean up dive get togethers
02-13-2003, 01:07 PM,
Lake clean up dive get togethers
Since this was brought up in the "Adopt a highway" post by Chris I figured I'd start the poll on the Lake Cleanup idea. Smile
06-06-2009, 05:13 PM,
Re: Lake clean up dive get togethers
Bump!!  Let's get some more responses to the question.
06-08-2009, 06:45 PM,

Hey I'm all for the clean-up dives, but who came up with the time for MTKA'S, all over by, 11am, WTF! why arent we waiting for the sun to be high in the sky. I was diving in MTKA last Thur at 3:30 in the afternoon and vis was maybe 5-6 feet off the west side of Big Island in 35'. I mean were coming up on the longest day of the year why we hitting it so early, not that I'm planning on going out Fri night, lol, just we've all noticed when clouds come over what it does to our vis. The sun lower in the sky does the same thing.
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
06-08-2009, 09:09 PM,
I believe they have it early for two reasons.  The boat traffic is quite intense from 12:00 on and the restaurant that sponsors the divers  event needs to clear divers out for the incoming customers.  Don't let the time keep you from going.  It's a free breakfast, a free boat dive, and a great time! 
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
08-26-2009, 10:09 PM,
I think a good lake to do a clean up in is Lake Calhoun.

Lots of trash in that lake. Sad
08-27-2009, 08:39 AM,

Really?
The north beach is/was moonscape. I think I saw one shoe in an hour long swim. At 30 feet it was so dark I couldn't see my fins without my light.

I'll still do it but something with a harder bottom may make the hunt more interesting but I don't have any suggestions.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
08-27-2009, 11:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-21-2012, 09:31 PM by scubafreek864.)

Really?
The north beach is/was moonscape. I think I saw one shoe in an hour long swim. At 30 feet it was so dark I couldn't see my fins without my light.

I'll still do it but something with a harder bottom may make the hunt more interesting but I don't have any suggestions.
[/quote]

If you park at the public beach lot, and head to the east, the bottom is nice and hard.  Lots of sand and rocks. We found 2 rudders for sail boats, and lots of trash.  Terry found a wallet, but no cash. Sad
08-27-2009, 01:14 PM,
Ok, I swam out and west from the entrance East of the beach and it was nothing but silt after the weed line for 100's of feet, We swam large looping patterned in 28/30 and it was featureless.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
08-28-2009, 08:14 AM,
Try swimming under the anchored boats on the north end of the lake.  My dive buddy and I found an old radio that probably got knocked overboard.  We also found a shoe, a rollerblade, half of a golf club, half of a hockey stick and a bunch of bottles and cans.
08-28-2009, 11:16 AM,

Happy Gilmore parks his boat there?
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain