Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lakeland Shipwreck and CCR Trimix Training
06-02-2009, 09:24 PM,
Lakeland Shipwreck and CCR Trimix Training
Just returned from a fantastic weekend diving the shipwreck Lakeland, situated off Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin in about 200 feet of water.  This is the wreck of legend, or urban legends...where everyone tells you the story about some wreck in the Great Lakes that is full of antique automobiles.  Well this is the real McCoy, the ship is full of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang style cars with big head lights, large exposed radiators, wood spoke wheels, etc.. The wreck lies in about 200 feet of water and is split in half, exposing some of the cargo of automobiles, but the remaining halfs are quite spectacular for the state of preservation, artifacts and penetrations available. 

I was on a Shipwreck Explorers dive charter aboard the Molly V run by Jitka Hanakova, crewed by Lubo Valuch and we dove May  29,30, 31st.  The weather was most excellent, allowing us to get in two very good dives each day and the only limiting factor was the 41 degree water temps which kept us within an hour of in water time.  The visibility was 60-80 feet, thanks to the little mussle critters that line the entire lake bed and shipwrecks...oh well?

Aside from just awsome wreck dives, the trip was part of a CCR trimix class so divers were getting time in the water, skills, practice and awesome wreck dives.  There were mostly CCR divers on the boat; Tim Hanson, Alex Seeboth, Michal Matejicek, Lubo Valuch, Jitka Hanakova, Phil Patz and myself. The O.C. divers are a good group of guys I mostly know, but names witheld to protect the innocent.

Check out the remaining spaces open on the Molly V and web site - its the best boat and charter on the Great Lakes.  Hey, I hear Jitka has some spaces  open on her Gunilda trip - nice wreck too!

Good Diving

Deep Thought
Start with training, continue with adventures.