Remember me
Lost Password Register

Go Pro Camera! (Check this out!)
06-03-2009, 01:18 PM,
Go Pro Camera! (Check this out!)
I just placed an order for this.  I hope it turns out good.  Not many reviews cause its new.
Mounts where every you want it to.

For the price, why not try!
06-03-2009, 03:25 PM,
Re: Go Pro Camera! (Check this out!)
I own one and I'm happy with it. I got it for multi-sport. I wanted more then a picture but less then full movie in all weather.

It works as well as you would expect for the money. So far I've mostly used it on land. Mountain biking, Cross country skiing, Kayaking, Ice diving(surface). I did some shallow water last week and it did a fair job. It's a little slow to adjust to light levels but video is smooth. The more light the better as the aperture is small so outside and at least open shade. Full sun is best.

It takes 58 minutes on a 2 gig SD (1.9 gig file). It doesn't support a high density card. I didn't have one to try so you should test if if you have one but the documents lead me to believe it doesn't.  I use the LI rechargeable and they work great even in the cold.

The playback directly on a TV is nice but wide screen is poor so set the TV is standard ratio.

No sound/low sound in the water proof case. The mic has a high and low setting so I may have that wrong. If it's not in the case sound is still poor. It's loud enough but the sample rate is low. Unless you have a folly stage I'd voice over or dub in music.

The mounts it comes with are very nice but the head band will not be secure under water. I tried it and it fits with a mask on but you could lose it very easy and never know it. I resorted to hand held so take a lesson from the HID lights and make some kind of Goodman handle.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
06-03-2009, 05:41 PM,
Thanks so much for that review!  Cant wait to see it.  I have a Kodak Camera I am waiting to see when they make an underwater housing for it.  This just might due for now. 
How is the wrist strap?
Gotta be pretty close to get pictures and vids of fish?
Thanks again.
06-03-2009, 07:17 PM,
that does look pretty cool... and priced at what a case for my existing camera's waterproof case would be... apparently there looks like there is a firmware upgrade to take 4gb cards

might have to look into one of these
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
06-04-2009, 07:42 AM,
One thing to note that the 2 GB card in my camera makes the "recycle time" between still pictures, about 3 times longer than with a 1 GB card. On a video camera this would not be a problem but for the still photos it bites.
06-04-2009, 08:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-04-2009, 09:05 AM by arcFlash.)
My underwater use is limited to free dives to about 25 feet and I have the 170 degree so yes, I need to get close for small things but I find I don't lose out of frame. That is, anything I want ends up in frame regardless of how bad my aim is.

I do not have the wrist strap. I have the Helmet WIDE with mount kit. That's 4 hard mounts, a helmet mount and a head strap. They all work well. I'll likely order the suction cup mount for my sailing and kayaking.

Firmware upgrade, that's great. I'll have to look for that.

Not all solid state cards are created equal. My job had me testing 8 gig jump drives for a project and you get what you pay for, mostly. We have huge flux in write speed. The cheap cards use cheap chips and the speed is bad. You want brand name and read the speed info on the package. I have Sony and the camera works well but the usb transfer is slow. 40 minutes to move 2 gig.

This site doesn't take video or I would share some clips of what to expect. I suppose I could always create a YouTube.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
06-04-2009, 05:32 PM,
hurmm well the manufacturer website mentioned 4gb coming soon... should just be a firmware tweak though...
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun