Remember me
Lost Password Register

Allsafe company is OK in my book!
06-18-2009, 07:38 PM,
Allsafe company is OK in my book!
I made the connection with the guy who's weight pouch I found at Square Lake on Sunday. We arranged that I would drop it off at Allsafe company on Washington Avenue and that he would pick it up next week when he picks up some tanks that were getting hydro'd there. While dropping off the integrated weight pouch with the receptionist, I learned that the Allsafe store on Washington Avenue was just the drop-off and pick-up site for tanks and that all of the testing takes place up in Wyoming MN.

I stopped in the Allsafe testing facility in Wyoming tonight at 4:45 just to see what their shop was like. I did not know that they close at 4:00 but as I walked up to the door this young guy (about 35 years old)  unlocked it and let me in the vestibule. He was cheerful and asked what he could do for me. I told him that I heard that the tank testing for Allsafe was done in Wyoming and that I lived just North of there so I stopped in to check it out. He started to tell me about how they hydro tanks and the different testing done for fire extinguishers, carbonic tanks for soda companies. After a few minutes of him talking he stopped and said, "Follow me and I will show you the testing area." He said that they typically close at 4:00 but that they were so busy they were working overtime. He told me that they test 20,000 tanks per month and from all the tanks in the place I had no reason not to believe him. They had rooms full of fire extinguishers and another room full of medical oxygen tanks, One room full of torch tanks and many, many propane tanks. Here and there were small herds of scuba tanks. The testing area was fairly quiet except for the occasional ringing noise of stamping tank numbers. The tour lasted about a half hour and he was very informative about the testing process and different tank types. He told me that he has a Connex container coming from Korea in a week with a thousand Carbonic tanks for Pepsi company. I asked him what is involved with cleaning a scuba tank to enriched air certification. He told me that it is kind of an extra step with the recipe where he adds a bit of chemical to the cleaning solution and that Medical Grade O2 isn't even that stringent with the certification of their tanks as Enriched Air Scuba tanks. This made me confused. He said that Medical grade O2 tanks and aviation O2 tanks go from a virgin tank to having pure O2 in them and that is the only gas that ever gets put in them. That is why they don't need to get this extra spoon full of chemical in the cleaning solution. With all the knowledge this guy had, I assumed that he must be the owners kid. I asked him if he was the owner and he said "yes I am, and I own the Washington Avenue store too". I told him that he has a very good business and thanks for showing me the facility. I never did catch the guys name but he seems like a good businessman.
06-18-2009, 08:55 PM,
Re: Allsafe company is OK in my book!
That sounds like Mike!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
06-19-2009, 11:40 AM,
Re: Allsafe company is OK in my book!
Mike would love to know you thought he was only 35.  The person you were talking to iwas Mike's son-in-law his name is Joe.  I'm not sure how old he is though.