Remember me
Lost Password Register

Looking for a DIR type opinion.
07-03-2009, 12:08 AM,
Looking for a DIR type opinion.
I am a new diver setting up the equipment I bought. I have a question for the DIR type folks.

I have decided to go with a EMS shears rather then a knife. I think it would be easier to use underwater and has the ability to cut through more objects with greater ease then a knife would.

I an trying to decide how to carry the shears. So far I am thinking in a BC pocket with a piece of 550 cord to tether it to the BC. My thought was on the off chance it was needed to clear an entanglement I would not want to run the risk of dropping it and then being really up a creek.

If I did go that route would the cord itself be an entanglement hazard that would outweigh the benefit?

Any input??

Thanks in advance from a new guy.
07-03-2009, 05:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-03-2009, 05:45 AM by LKunze.)
Re: Looking for a DIR type opinion.
Here is how I secure items in my drysuit pockets.  I use bungee cord loops tied to the grommets on the sides of the pockets.  Then I clip the items off to the bungee cord loop with double end bolt snaps.  I pull the item or items out of the pocket as shown in the picture and unclip the item I want to use.  Everything else gets stuffed back in the pocket without ever having to unclip it from the loop.  Shears can be attached in the same method by clipping a bolt snap to the handle of the shears and then to the bungee loop.

07-03-2009, 03:25 PM,
With all the bolt snaps,Looks like you can drop some weight that way too, Lonnie!!! ;D
07-03-2009, 04:44 PM,
PM sent with some suggestions.
07-04-2009, 09:14 AM,
Thanks for the input guys.

Perhaps I should have been more clear. I am not looking to create a DIR set up. What I do like about DIR though is the amount of planning and forethought that has gone into creating the set up. I like how everything has been planned for the worst case scenario.

While DIR is not for me (yet), some of the forthought that went into it is. I would hate to do something that I thought was a good idea only to find out later, just by asking, has been a long standing bad idea.

I do plan on taking as much DIR that is right for me at this point and using it.
07-05-2009, 06:51 AM,
Reading suggestion
I would sue looking for equipmggest if you are looking for equipment suggestions find this book Dress For Success By GUE Instructor Dan MacKay - A DIR Equipment Guide. It will be a good guidleine into setting up your equipment.

Jim