Remember me
Lost Password Register

some one selling old ship wreck stuff on craigs list
07-06-2009, 08:46 AM,
some one selling old ship wreck stuff on craigs list
Ran acrossed it in the Duluth craigslist some body is selling stuff from a ship wreck on Superior 
That is not legal an not good for the people trying to enjoy these wrecks.    Can we find him?
Jeff
TDI Advance Nitrox an Deco Trimix an Cave
07-06-2009, 11:33 AM,
Re: some one selling old ship wreck stuff on craigs list
reply to the add, arrange to see the stuff, and then you will be face to face. He or she probably would not tell you the truth about how he or she acquired the stuff but at least you would know what his or her face looks like when you ask them. If he is wearing a ski mask, He probably stole it. if he looks like a banker, he probably repossessed it.  ;D  What search words could I type to find the add in Craigslist? I tried "ship" and I found 125 listings, but nothing when I typed "stolen property" or "illegal"...
07-06-2009, 11:50 AM,
It was under boats.  His number is 651-248-7746 From ST Paul!  His name is John
07-06-2009, 08:34 PM,
It must not be on there anymore.  I tried both(boat, and boats) and nothing.

Call the person, and have the PD watch from a distance.  At least they will get posession of stolen property/ with intent to sell. ;D
07-06-2009, 10:26 PM,
He has/had a Floe Trailer for sale as well.City of Willernie,MN is listed.Also plastic barrels on craigslist.John is also renting warehouse space in Wisconsin.
07-07-2009, 05:12 AM,
So do you know him?  Is he aware that taking stuff from a wreck is not legal?
07-07-2009, 11:24 AM,
It is entirely possibly that the items were collected before legislation was passed.  There have been items sold on Ebay already that were collected before it was illegal to take "souvenirs".  I think one can argue on the ethics of selling these items but I do not believe it is illegal.
07-07-2009, 04:14 PM,
I don't know him.I just found that stuff listed with his name and number.
07-07-2009, 04:19 PM,

Please elaborate
07-07-2009, 05:08 PM,

Please elaborate
[/quote]

I'm sure that some people would argue that the items should belong in a museum and donated rather than sold.  Some others would argue that they are personal belongings legally collected and they can be sold at will.  Details on the artifacts could open ethical arguments.  Are they historically significant?  Are they personal effects of sailors that may still have surviving family?  I'm sure there is a wide range of opinion based on what people feel is ethical based on those unknown details.