Remember me
Lost Password Register

some one selling old ship wreck stuff on craigs list
07-09-2009, 08:00 PM,
Re: some one selling old ship wreck stuff on craigs list
:oLooks like there is some heavy thinking on stuff being sold "Black Market".  Capitalists at work, making the world go around. When I'm running the detector in the muck up to the elbows, with the vis at a neg 0 I think of the adventure, the thrill of the hunt. Items once discarded as trash, no cash value, can spark interest of a collector.  We all  8)collect stuff, trash as it may be. Boat stuff, car stuff, diving stuff, you get the picture, some may have value,,,, to someone. Antiquity Laws, amateur Archaeologists, Subjects that spark POLITICS.  Too much talk can create closures and usage fees. :-X

I don't believe in pilfering Archaeological sites or sites of value, but if it is worth a million dollars, look out, here come the new Caddy. >Big Grin
07-09-2009, 08:09 PM,
Quote:So a big developer buys the land, sells the anchor as scrap steel, and builds a 2 million dollar home with an awesome view of Superior....Can we afford that?   :Smile

Kinda what I was thinking.  The big developer part would be par for the course on the North Shore these days. 

Maybe they'd be willing to sell just the anchor?  Or maybe the sellers already have plans for it, who knows?  I should've stopped and written down the phone number on the For Sale sign, I wasn't thinking.  If anyone is heading up the shore soon, try to grab that number and maybe we can find out what the deal is.

07-10-2009, 07:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-10-2009, 07:02 AM by Shooter.)

Then maybe you will have to venture out of hand held / guided diving. Next time I am diving and find something cool or valuable, I will leave it there, draw you a map with gps coordinates, and send it to you. Spread the dive wealth around, right? NOT! I am sure that if you found the wreck of the Atocha you would leave it there for me to see. What then is the reward for the diver who boldly goes where none have gone before?  FORTUNE favors the brave!

On the other hand experiencing diving the wrecks at aisle royal made me appreciate historical shipwreck preservation. To feel like I was the first one there after thousands of other divers was pretty awesome. I feel that is up to the person who made the discovery.
[/quote]

Shooter I made my comment in regards to the original topic of Superior wrecks.I wasn't aware of people still locating to many wrecks in or near recreational limits in Superior.If you are,enjoy.I am not referring to lost fishing gear and jewelry people are losing in area lakes.I found a Minnkota trolling motor and no I didn't look for the rightful owner.
[/quote]

I guess the "take only pictures leave only bubbles"  ??? comment got me a little fired up. I once had a landlord who wouldn't allow us to ride wheeler though the woods on established trails because it would "damage the forest floor". This same person used wood heat to heat their home and logged the same area. I hate when environmental wackos and tree huggers try to enforce their beliefs through governmental agency's and policy. On established historical wrecks I agree with the " take only pictures leave only bubbles"
07-10-2009, 07:09 AM,
I've had dinner off the Mesquite's china, and used her wrenches to repair my trailer. It was after all, the Coasrt Guard who sunk $40,000 tool cabinets because (in their opinion,,,,,,) it wasnt worth removing and recatorgorizing, any item worth less then $250, not looking at the tool box as a single item, but instead looking at each socket and wrench individually. Who actually paid for that stuff, the Coast Guard?[/quote]
[/quote]

Did you recover the tools? That would have been a awesome dive!
07-10-2009, 07:20 AM,

So you agree with my Finder's keepers policy on new discoveries?  ;D

Attached Files
.jpg   Sunken%20Treasure%20Buffy.jpg (Size: 89.89 KB / Downloads: 75)
.jpg   134096095v7_350x350_Front.jpg (Size: 23.11 KB / Downloads: 55)
07-10-2009, 07:55 AM,
I've had dinner off the Mesquite's china, and used her wrenches to repair my trailer. It was after all, the Coasrt Guard who sunk $40,000 tool cabinets because (in their opinion,,,,,,) it wasnt worth removing and recatorgorizing, any item worth less then $250, not looking at the tool box as a single item, but instead looking at each socket and wrench individually. Who actually paid for that stuff, the Coast Guard?[/quote]
[/quote]

Hey Shooter,
                  NO, that would of been theft of federal  property, least at the time, shortly after she sank. Even the hired salvors asked to have them, twin Snap-on rollaway cabinets, how could you blame them? The armed CG personal said NO, sink them. I mean, what was the $44 million replacement cost of the Mesquite to them? Their primary concern after she was, destroyed "waiting" for salvors from the other end of the Great Lakes, (like there were no salvors in Duluth that were closer?) was to sand blast off her colors. The Coast Guard does have a long and honarable history, some would say (in the Great Lakes) that ended with the sinking of the Fitgerald, the Mesquite being just another example. The Mesquite is STILL an awesome dive! Requires drysuits, lights, penetration equipment and experience. I will make at least one run to see her later this season, let me know if you like to come with!      Terry
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
07-10-2009, 08:47 AM,
[/quote]

Hey Shooter,
                  NO, that would of been theft of federal  property, least at the time, shortly after she sank. Even the hired salvors asked to have them, twin Snap-on rollaway cabinets, how could you blame them? The armed CG personal said NO, sink them. I mean, what was the $44 million replacement cost of the Mesquite to them? Their primary concern after she was, destroyed "waiting" for salvors from the other end of the Great Lakes, (like there were no salvors in Duluth that were closer?) was to sand blast off her colors. The Coast Guard does have a long and honarable history, some would say (in the Great Lakes) that ended with the sinking of the Fitgerald, the Mesquite being just another example. The Mesquite is STILL an awesome dive! Requires drysuits, lights, penetration equipment and experience. I will make at least one run to see her later this season, let me know if you like to come with!      Terry
[/quote]

How did you get to use the tools?
Thanks for the invite but my wife hasn't warmed up to cold water diving,... yet
07-10-2009, 10:06 AM,

Hey Shooter, somebody I knew up on the UP, did a lot of diving on her shortly after she was put down. Its been my experience about 50% of gals vote no to the cold, especially Superior, when you combine the cold, the darkness, the waves, the distance, the lack of color, the risks inherint with wrecks, you can see why, I guess.
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
07-20-2009, 10:07 AM,

Looking over the posts associated with that number and what he's selling, I don't think he's from Willernie or outstate.  I think he's a liquidator or business closer that is getting rid of various items from foreclosed or sold storage or shops. 

I am deducing this from some items he's sold plus space he's renting out... eg. he's selling surplus tile and he wants to rent a tile warehouse, he's selling items all over the place but he's not living there or working there himself.... he looks like he's selling items at various locations to get rid of them and get the properties ready for use again.

If this is the case it's likely he didn't know selling items like this would be frowned upon (not necessarily illegal depending on how/where they were collected).

If anyone's contacted him, it would be good to find out more on what he's got for purposes of possibly buying items back (or getting them donated) and re-sinking them, depending on where they came from.

Note that any contact with him should be polite... despite the ethics most of us were taught or the laws in place since 1988, we don't know that he's actually doing anything illegal and even if he's selling illegally collected items he may not know the legality.... it'd be a shame if he got a half dozen phone calls vilifying him as an evil man that caused him to quietly dump whatever he has in a landfill.

For those of you not current on salvage and wreck laws, two examples where what he's doing is perfectly legal would be A) Artifacts taken before 1988 or B) Artifacts taken from a non abandoned wreck that whomever took them owned.

BB

07-20-2009, 05:43 PM,
As for the land on 61 the part the sellers won't tell you is the state is going to move/ widen the road to go right over the parking lot there.  Witch leaves very little land to do anything with.  The GLSPS is working to get the anchor (they own the salvage rights to the Madeira).

Tim