Remember me
Lost Password Register

June 14-15th
06-12-2003, 03:32 PM,
Re:June 14-15th
I find it hard to believe your the only one... I haven't done the typical Mex thing but a week in Bonaire doing boat and shore dives will sure hone your skills in a hurry. Nothing like being able to see 100' u/w too Tongue
In my dreams buddy. Am I the only one on the board here who has never done a warm salt water dive? :Smile
[/quote]
PADI - AOW, DPV, Dry Suit, Wreck, TDI Nitrox
65 Dives and growing.
Deepest Dive - 132' Lighthouse, Bonaire
Deepest Wreck - 130' Hilma Hooker, Bonaire
06-12-2003, 07:01 PM,
Hey everyone.. I'm on my way to the lakes tonight. Don't know what the conditions are but I was thinking tomorrow I'd run around freediving to some of the lakes and search out the better viz. I think we'll start off with a w.mcdonald dive to the island and take it from there, there are some places in w.mcD that I haven't dove that I think would be good. I know some of you like the deeper water so for that we'll have to move to Little McD, Six, Long by Vergas, or Paul. We can plan things on the fly. W.mcd bottoms out at about 75' but the deepest I've seen on the depth gauge is about 55' but fishermen have told me there is a 75' foot hole. Because I'm not a whole lot o' scuba diver (hey, I did rent tanks for the weekend) I'll be scuba'ing fairly shallow so for those that are new and uncomfortable with the depths I'll blend right in with you...
Boat is running and still a go.. for anyone daring even the little 14' fishing boat is running, that would be an interesting one to climb into..worse than a canoe I'd think.
If I get near a 'puter tomorrow I'll check in but most likely not.. here's my cell if you gotta question but if you read through some of the earlier posts I think most questions are taken care of. 701-430-1590.
*Lonnie, if you have too much trouble at the boat I'll throw you an anchor Wink
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
06-13-2003, 05:02 AM,
LOL... Gee, thanks Fred. Big Grin
06-13-2003, 06:07 AM,
Because of my little run-in with an SUV this week (car is totaled , I think...) I may have to do some in-town things on Saturday. :'( So If I don't show have a wonderful time. And Lonnie , don't catch anything Fred throws at you! Wink

Jean
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
06-14-2003, 04:54 AM,
I got my tanks filled last night, so I'm up now getting ready to make the road the trip. I should hopefully be on the road by 7AM. I'll see everyone up there later this morning!
06-15-2003, 08:11 PM,
I had a great time diving with you all.

Thanks fred for putting this together.
I hope to see you all aroudn a bit more.

Chris
06-15-2003, 08:23 PM,
I'd like to thank Fred again for the great dive get together this past weekend at his cabin. Diving over the weekend were myself, Jason Baker, Larry, Tim and Anna, Chris Morris, and of course Fred. We did 5 dives. We did three dives Saturday in West McDonald Lake and 2 dives Sunday in Paul Lake. The first dive Saturday in West McDonald was off of Fred's boat into one of the deeper spots in the lake (55 feet) It was a bit dark at depth but once we got to the shallows we had some pretty good viz...I'd say maybe 12 to 15 feet. After a surface interval we did another dive from a submerged island. Fred took us out in the boat again and dropped us off at the island which was about 3 feet deep. We dropped off our gear and geared up in the waist deep water and headed out. We had good viz again here and saw numerous fish around the island where it dropped off to around 20 to 30 feet. I was amazed at the variety of fish we saw on this dive. I'm not real good with fish ID but I believe we saw suckers (a couple huge ones), northern, walleye, sunnies, etc. After another surface interval and a meal we went out for a night dive from the dock on Fred's cabin property. We saw an enormous amount of fish on this dive and it was a lot of fun.
Onto Sunday. We headed to Paul Lake. This lake had even better viz...I'd say 20+ feet. I really liked this lake. Excellent access at the boat ramp and a nice sandy bottom. The first dive was to around 55 feet. After a surface interval we did another dive in the shallows and saw lots of fish. Many northerns and sunnies on this dive. I highly recommend diving up in the Detroit Lakes area...there is some excellent diving up there and I'd definately like to return again. Smile
06-16-2003, 08:36 AM,
Sorry I could not make it with my car issues and all... :'(
But I am so glad the diving was good. Especially on Paul (Isn't that just a marvelous little lake!!!). So Lonnie , I think I will get you a fresh-water fish chart. Wink
However , my weekend wasn't a total wash , I did get in 2 dives , including a moonlite 84 minute night dive.

Jean Smile
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
06-16-2003, 11:18 AM,
Great people, great dives, great food, and great weather. I really enjoyed making multiple dives off a boat again. West McDonald and Paul are both quality dive sites. I was impressed by the variety of fish at Paul. The visibility was better than any of the lakes around the Twin Cities at this time of year. I tried my hand at spear fishing for the first time yesterday. Thanks to Fred for sponsoring the event and showing such great hospitality! The Detroit Lakes area should be on every MN diver's local diving list.
--Jason
06-16-2003, 03:22 PM,
I too would like to thank Fred for putting on this event and showing such great hospitality!

I really had a good time!

You couldn't ask for better weather for diving this past weekend!