Remember me
Lost Password Register

One Last Time
07-24-2009, 11:19 PM,
Re: One Last Time
I couldn't believe the great response I received as PM's. I really appreciate the help!!

Thanks a ton to the OP, lunatim. If you hadn't made this post and allowed me to hijack a bit with my question, I would still be scratching my head.
07-25-2009, 07:18 AM,
I've taken my basic gear on the bus many times; even a BC vest and reg aren't too heavy to schlepp around.  That's wild to learn that I can go diving in a lake that's bus-friendly.  I'm hoping to make the dive in August since it's likely I'll be busy on my birthday.

DQ--too bad she's back in Switzerland Smile  I've noticed that Europeans aren't as hung up about owning a car as Americans and don't consider non-drivers to be second-rate citizens.  What's ironic is that I have a perfect driving record and still even have my DL--it's just that the expense and trouble of a car aren't compatible with my artist lifestyle.  I've had no trouble navigating the public transit systems of Seattle, Brussels, Las Vegas (their monorail kicks butt!), Boston, and Manhattan--unfortunately, Minnesota lags behind when it comes to public transit.  When I have the urge to go scuba diving, that's one of the very few times that not having wheels is a pain in the posterior.  Then again, the money I used to spend on a car could pay for a nice resort or live-aboard dive trip every year or so Wink

yelloduc--No prob Smile
07-25-2009, 08:23 AM,
If only all there was to schlepp around was a bcd and reg. It's the tank, weights, wetsuit, etc. that adds up. :-\

European cities are a bit more compact then good old MN. Even the larger and older cities here are easier to get around in then the TCs.  Other countries may not be as attached to cars but they have more options as you're experiencing. Also most folks here don't want to run their family of five around on a scooter (as I've seen in Thailand and Mexico.)  :o

I think it's a bit of a jump to say car owners consider folks that don't own cars to be second-rate citizens. I think it's more (as you've also pointed out) the lifestyle one chooses to lead.  Smile

07-25-2009, 08:45 PM,

Quote:What's ironic is that I have a perfect driving record and still even have my DL--it's just that the expense and trouble of a car aren't compatible with my artist lifestyle.  ...
  When I have the urge to go scuba diving, that's one of the very few times that not having wheels is a pain in the posterior.  Then again, the money I used to spend on a car could pay for a nice resort or live-aboard dive trip every year or so

Or even rent a car from rent-a-wreck or similar endeavor?  That might make it easier to get to an out-of-town get together like Crosby or Gooseberry.

It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain
07-25-2009, 09:42 PM,
Just got back from Square Lake from the once- or twice-a-year snorkel expedition with my friend.  There was a good breeze and some light waves, and vis was the usual 10-12 feet.  I felt good with just a thin exposure suit, but the thermocline was at about 20-25 feet and it got damned cold below that.  It's probably a good idea for me to not bother scuba diving there until I can get a decent 7mm wetsuit--I keep forgetting how cold that lake really gets.  My friend was so fascinated by the fish today that I think I have a chance at persuading him to get certified some day.  Perhaps it's my imagination, but I'd swear that the vis in Square Lake was much better when I was a kid--or perhaps diving in tropical areas has spoiled me Wink

Lynn--Good point; schlepping around a tank and weights on a bus would be a nightmare if the dive shop didn't bring those directly to the dive site.  It was a bit over the top to claim that pedestrians are second-rate citizens; however there does seem to be a stigma to not owning a car in the Midwest compared to more cosmopolitan (and compact) cities like New York or Boston.

Ballfrog--That's a good idea for a long road trip.  I've never rented a car before, but that's definitely an option to consider.

Actually, there's plenty of opportunities for me to get wet in Minnesota without having to depend on my friend for a ride--underwater hockey once a month, a trip to the nearby Y for swimming twice a week, the pool at my brother's condo, and even Lake Calhoun.  Scuba diving is a bit iffy, though, without a car; but all that really matters is getting in maybe one dive per summer to maintain my skill level for when I go diving on vacation...
07-30-2009, 09:03 PM,
Someone has got to explain this thing called "Underwater Hockey".
07-30-2009, 09:23 PM,

I played years ago. It is a heck of a lot of fun and a good workout. I believe lunatim plays currently. I'll leave the explanation to him. I think there was a previous thread that explained it as well.
07-30-2009, 10:12 PM,
SCUBA Dog, you played u/w hockey?  Cool!  Were you with the local team ( )?

yelloduc:

Yes, there is such a sport.  I think it was invented in the UK back in the 50s by a team of divers who wanted to keep up their skills in winter.  It's basically hockey, but played on the bottom of a pool with a plastic-coated lead puck and a couple of movable goals.  Players wear mask, fins, snorkel, ear protection, and a glove.  The stick is really short, about a foot long, and there's about the same number of players as with ice hockey.  The local team, the Loons, meet twice a week--Wednesdays and Sundays--for practice.  Good snorkeling skills are necessary for this game, and it can be a serious contact sport at times.  Many teams are co-ed and, believe me, the women are just as good as the men if not better.

The game is more popular in Europe and Australia, but it's popularity in the USA has been growing in recent years.  There's also a sport called underwater rugby which is rougher, but that's more of a European thing.  There's even underwater ice hockey which is like u/w hockey, but played on the underside of a frozen lake--you can surmise that this is something of an extreme sport and few people play it.  Rumor has it that they even tried underwater polo, but the horses kept drowning Wink

07-31-2009, 09:46 AM,

I played 3-4 times a week back in the mid to late 80's. I heard that some of the guys that I played with back then are still active with the Loons.
07-31-2009, 04:42 PM,
Mid 80s?  Whoa, I had no clue that it was around, at least in Minnesota, for so long :o Some of the guys on the Loons, though, are old enough to have played back then...