Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Jane
07-25-2009, 10:27 AM,
Lake Jane
I have dove Lake Jane (East of 694 in Lake Elmo) a couple of times. The viz has been about 6' and lots of fish. On my dive the other day, I found an intact 10-14' boat. Looked to be in great shape. Anybody else been in Lake Jane and what does the law say about bringing stuff like that up?
07-25-2009, 10:52 AM,
Re: Lake Jane

Get the registration number off of the boat, contact the DNR or local PD.  Have them run it, and contact the owner of the boat.  The other thing you could do is just get it out of the lake.  I wouldn't think there is any historical ties behind it being there.
07-27-2009, 09:29 AM,
It's an interesting question. In a situation like that, when you find something on a dive that has been there for a while, is it yours for the keeping? Should you try and contact the owner if possible or is it "finders keepers". Legally I don't think there are any laws against keeping it or trying to find the owner, but how about ethically.
07-28-2009, 11:41 AM,
I asked the Sheriff's at a GLSPS show once and he said, it's stealing. He said it's not abandon property, it's just illegally parked. Said something about a flooded town doesn't justify taking someones BBQ because it's underwater. The laws don't change on altitude or depth but I didn't verify the laws and I don't care to bring anything home.

If you get a ruling on the legality, please post it I'd be interested to know.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
07-28-2009, 12:22 PM,
Only stealing if you get caught, sounds like a good night dive project. >Big Grin
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
07-28-2009, 04:12 PM,

Now that's a good one! Wink
07-28-2009, 04:16 PM,
Better leave those anchors, fishing poles, ice chisles, lures, empty beer cans and even monofiliment line too, eh?

I actually found a barbeque once.  Now I'm afraid to say where. Wink
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain
07-28-2009, 04:56 PM,
Robert and Doug,,,,,,, maybe we better go have a look at this lake, maybe this weekend, what do you say? Not that we would ever bend a law a little,,,,,,,,,,
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)
07-28-2009, 05:05 PM,
I'm free, just say when, but do it in a PM just incase "the man" is watching. Wink
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
07-28-2009, 05:15 PM,
Name the time, and I will be there.

Would we be doing a boat or shore dive?

Terry, would you be bringing the boat?