Remember me
Lost Password Register

Along the North Shore of Lake Superior
07-21-2009, 09:02 AM,
Along the North Shore of Lake Superior
I am wondering if anyone has done any exploring at any of the rest stops along the north shore of Lake Superior? There are the obvious locations like Brighton Bay, Gooseberry, the Maderia, Hesper etc. but I'm wondering more about the overlook areas most of which have a little more difficulty getting to the water?

The reference that I am using is the Lake Superior water trail map (designed for Kayakers) but I am using the different park/rest areas that are used for the kayakers as potential dive sites to explore.... I just haven't gotten much time to explore them lately.

Let me know if anyone has explored any of these areas and what they found, ie any intersting terrain etc.
07-21-2009, 01:14 PM,
Re: Along the North Shore of Lake Superior
nope, but thanks for the map!
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
07-21-2009, 01:36 PM,
If you dive any of the locations please let me know I am trying to find out as much as I can about all the public lake accessible areas (indicated in green on the map) for a larger dive project I am working on which should make things a little more diver friendly along the north shore. 
07-21-2009, 02:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-21-2009, 02:20 PM by LKunze.)
I did a dive at the spot circled on the map attached below.  It's the little bay at the picnic area at Split Rock State Park that has the island.  Not much to see.  Depth if I recall averaged 20 to 30 feet deep and was pretty much just a flat sand bottom.  I saw burned pieces of driftwood on the bottom and some concrete blocks with ropes attached maybe for anchoring boats?  That's about it.  I didn't get all the way out to the island to see what was out there.  The access was easy.  The walk down to the water from the parking lot wasn't too bad.  Entry was pretty easy, comparable to the Madeira beach access.

Attached Files
.jpg   SPLITROCK.jpg (Size: 88.41 KB / Downloads: 71)
.jpg   SPLITROCK.jpg (Size: 88.41 KB / Downloads: 71)
07-21-2009, 03:47 PM,
yes, I believe that is considered little two harbors, previously home to a small fishing village.

Thanks
08-03-2009, 12:05 PM,
We anchored off the Island last year and dove out from there.  There is a piece of wreckage in there from the Madeira from when it was being salvaged, also cribbing and the anchor blocks.  Plus lots lots more that we did not see. 

Oh and one of the rare fresh water plastic lobsters was found.

It is a fun shallow dive.