Remember me
Lost Password Register

Park Rapids Area?
07-27-2009, 09:32 AM,
Park Rapids Area?
We're heading down to Park Rapids area this coming weekend to stay with some family and I'm going to get a dive in. Anybody know of a better lake to go to? I think there's a dive shop in the area too, so I'll give them a shout as well.
Thanks,
Tanner
07-27-2009, 10:22 AM,
Re: Park Rapids Area?
That will put you fairly close to Bad Medicine.  And a bunch of other pretty decent lakes. 
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain
07-27-2009, 11:10 AM,
I did a little research and the closest lakes that sound pretty good are Lake Belle Taine, Big Mantrap Lake, and Long lake. Anybody have any experience with any of these? The DNR page says Lake Belle has 16 foot visibility, thought that'd be interesting, unless it's featureless.
07-27-2009, 02:39 PM,
Straight Lake in Osage 8 miles west of PR used to be fairly decent for vis and fish life

Darcy
07-27-2009, 09:26 PM,
I had pretty good vis in Big Sand.. and I think it drops to like 125' not far off the boat landing.  I had planned on using that location for a dive to that depth (a freedive of course).  Someday.........
Cold and dark down there huh?
07-28-2009, 09:04 AM,
Thanks for the info, if anybody is going to be around for a buddy dive let me know. Big sand sounds like the place to go.
07-31-2009, 12:05 PM,
Sounds like Straight Lake has a dam, will have to get a freedive in too! Thanks windfree!
07-31-2009, 10:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-31-2009, 10:12 PM by Firecaptn15.)
Havent been in long lake for a few years but it used to be good vis, Supposedly lake itasca north of park rapids is a nice lake to dive. As of last summer the only dive shops I knew of that were nearby was up in bemidji or in detroit lakes.