Remember me
Lost Password Register

? for the rebreather divers
08-02-2009, 09:08 PM,
Re: ? for the rebreather divers
My question is what information can be revealed? How many buttresses the miners used to hold up the shale? Judging by what was left after the mining operations in all of the pits there is no reason to believe there is anything to be discovered in these drifts.

Besides, since others have, successfully, traversed these drifts wouldn't they have shared their findings if there was valuable information? Perhaps not in fear of "luring" others to attempt the foolish dive. But by going by the odds, I would say the history is pretty well documented and thus further exploration is not needed.

I feel these structures are, now, simply to be admired... from the outside looking in. Peeping Tom style if you will.  Smile

Will these be here forever? Of course not. Some, like you discussed, will be covered by erosion such as the one in Mahnomen 2 (Sand Chute Gulch). Others will remain much, much longer considering their location and surrounding topography so long as they are not disturbed. But without getting too deep into discussing the limnology of the mine pits it is fairly safe to say the remaining mine shafts will be a viewable structure for quite some time. (Just consider our recent 6 inch rainfall. Very little to no measurable erosion and the vis was more or less unchanged immediately after.)

While the history of that area does interest me, I am by no means a historian. My primary concern is the safety of the divers who visit that area. While one may be able to successfully make it through these drifts many times over with no problems there is no way to determine which is going to collapse at what time (I doubt there are very many geologists/engineers evaluating the stability of these shafts.) To me that incalculable risk is far too great just to "see where this goes" or "lets find some artifacts." And to think that others would be willing to take that risk is... well... scary and I for one will not dive with someone who would. (And yes, I would dive with Bill, for example. Things were different back when he attempted such things.)

Oh, and Mr. Bio is by no means necessary. Adam will be just fine.  ;D
Adam<br /><br />www.AdamJohnsonOutdoors.com
08-03-2009, 01:54 PM,
Are the historical records/pictures of the pits available at the county historical society? Did the original mining company release it's geology records to anyone?
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
08-03-2009, 05:27 PM,
There are numerous pictures, I know. Historical society would be a good place to check, the photos I have seen were at MSD. I would have to check where they got them. I am not sure about geology records. Good question though.
Adam<br /><br />www.AdamJohnsonOutdoors.com