Remember me
Lost Password Register

? for the rebreather divers
07-30-2009, 07:45 AM,
Re: ? for the rebreather divers
Thanks for the detailed post Terry.  I'm not cave trained and definitely not a legend diver  ;D so I'll pass on your offer to tour the tunnel.
08-01-2009, 08:15 PM,
Are these the tunnels that are out in front of the former campground Portsmouth Bay?  The ones that I went through are at a fairly steep angle from memory and its been several years but I recall starting at around 50 and exiting 80-90?

I've been in the drift across from the ? (Menomine 3) boat access where the antler mount was hung...it got really messy from bubbles causing the ceiling to fall.  This one pinched out not far in.

Regarding rebreathers, yes the lack of bubbles is an asset for penetrations.  I do shipwrecks for photography and the lack of bubbles results in clear pictures (no crap raining down from ceiling) and clear exits.  The caves I dive have probably been so well traveled that there is nothing on the ceilings to fall down, but rebreathers are still the way to go.

good diving

Deep Thought
Start with training, continue with adventures.
08-02-2009, 09:20 AM,

Hello Ron!
                                Thats correct just out in front of the campground, the only one there I know of there, is concrete as described my be above, starting in 55' and going up to the west to end at about 30'. The silt is tough at the bottom of this one because its very fine. I agree about the rebreather deal, tough to get more then a couple good shots in the mens room of the America before the ceiling rains down. I did get a new rig thou, a Nikon D300 and Subal housing, with a pair of Ikelite of DS160 strobes that has been getting its first taste of cold fresh water these last few weeks.
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
08-02-2009, 11:23 AM,
You guys are really taking a life threatening risk entering these drifts. These are not caves and being old and man-made are quite unstable. Local tech divers wouldn't even attempt these and for good reason.

Aside from the high risk of being trapped there is another reason to stay out... Preservation of the structures. Keep these intact for as long as possible for others to enjoy. There is a lot of history in those pits and just a few "adventurers" can ruin an irreplaceable structure that many divers can appreciate. 

Sorry to step up on my soap box, but I really don't want to get a page for a trapped diver.
Adam<br /><br />www.AdamJohnsonOutdoors.com
08-02-2009, 01:58 PM,

So the reinforced concrete becomes unstable after years in fresh water? I'm not familiar with this kind of thing - and am just wondering if that's what the issue is.

I've seen the entrance to the one being talked about, swam around it and was curious where it went, etc. Interesting to see although I'm not sure I'd classify a reinforced concrete section as an irreplaceable structure...  ;D
08-02-2009, 02:23 PM,
I don't think Adam was referring to the concrete reinforced tunnel in Portsmouth but rather the drift mines that are dug into the walls of the pits like the ones in Louise, Feigh, Hopkins, etc.
08-02-2009, 06:28 PM,

Correct Lonnie. That concrete tunnel in Portsmouth is very stable.
08-02-2009, 07:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2009, 07:18 PM by Terry.)
                    Lynn, you are correct, the concrete tunnel (in Portsmouth)  is exceedingly sound, many of them have been buried (bored) in St. Paul, more then 70 years buried, more then 150' underground. Bio did not specify this in his statements, the hand dug tunnels of the Cuyuna range are VERY fragile, and VERY dangerous. I do not know how much history will be EVER recovered from them that is not ALREADY known, as far as to length, girth, purpose, longevity, or lighting.
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)
08-02-2009, 08:00 PM,
I'm not as much concerned about preserving the opportunity to learn more about the Cuyuna Range via these drift mines as I am allowing others to see them still in a "preserved" manner rather than all collapsed (possibly with a body inside).
08-02-2009, 08:31 PM,

With all due respect Mr. Bio. AND I agree with you that these drifts are DANGEROUS and should not be penetrated by,,,,,, ANYONE. MY question is,,,,,,,,Then what are we preserving, and when might the information held in these drifts be revealed? To stand outside a home looking into the front door, can you tell home many baths/bedrooms it has? Perhaps a poor anology,,,,,,. Some will go thru the drifts, I know some who have. I have seen after heavy rainfalls,,,,,, MASSIVE slides of dirt, entire banks, rocks, trees, some 45'+ tall slide down into the mines, (starting above water) totally trashing the vis for days, these mines will all "slide" to a point where the ground structure will level enough to be "stable" If a few "adventures" make the traverse and survive, are we any less off then if no one did. I REALIZE THERE IS EXTREME RISK HERE. I AM NOT ADVOCATING IT. BUT SOME WILL GO ANYWAY.There are divers who are going to do VERY foolish dives, I know I have. I mean you NO OFFENSE MR. Bio. Just wondering your thoughts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,      Terry
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)