Remember me
Lost Password Register

team diving skills
03-05-2003, 12:26 AM,
Re:team diving skills
OK, back to discusion. Using GP's example, donated reg, was handed off on 7' hose. All h#@l breaks loose, but everyone makes it back OK, so I think we can count that as a success.
Did the hose make it better/easier? It seems it was easier to donate air, and diver who needed air got it and avoided panic (unless I am missing something). Could it have been done with a short hose? Sure but it is hard to deny results. Could there have even been an advantage to a short hose. Maybe if buddy breathing was used, but then again buddy breathing can be done with a long hose as well, and I don't think that would have been a wise choice in either case. Further note, Lonnie and Chris need to quit gearing up in a pet cemetary, or quit doing whatever it was that cursed their dive.

In Joel's case, long hose did not hurt, and seemed to make it easier.

These kinds of things are what I was hoping to get. While I have heard the logical arguements for using a long hose, logic and "real world" seem to cross paths only on occasion.

Oh and FMT- never at any point did I feel I had control of the earlier situation. It was his buddy, that dumped weights and quite frankly was exemplary in every way. I just showed up and through sheer luck managed to survive and not make matters worse. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. Wink
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
03-05-2003, 05:58 AM,
That's a good point I didn't mention in the situation I described. Before the dive where Chris had the freeflow the instructor went over a freeflow scenario with us actually. There were three of us on the dive...Chris, the instructor and myself. We were told that if one of us experienced a freeflow or other emergency that we were to go to the instructor only to avoid a bigger mess with three people involved so I stayed out of it and just watched. I can say that I sure wanted to help but knew that I had stay out of the way UNLESS someone specifically came to me for help. At the time of their ascent I was the only one with two good working second stages. They took off up the line without me and I followed with a normal slow safe ascent with a 3 minute safety stop at 15 ft. Could I have donated my primary in this scenario? Probably, but it would have potentially made the scenario worse with three divers sharing air.
03-05-2003, 08:25 AM,
Lonnie, I remember that like it was yesterday... The hardest part for me was knowing you were down alone at 100ft. I kept watching for the bubbles, it was all I could do.

I was actually below the instructor on the way up, hanging on to the hose with all I had. I had dumped the air from my bc and was trying to grab the rope to slow the ascent... neither worked.
03-05-2003, 08:49 AM,
I do remember the Wazee incident in question. FMT and I were on the shore dropping deco bottles in the water or something like that. We saw a diver hit the surface and and let out a long, slow "F[expletive]." He were already in our drysuits and one of us said something to the effect, "Uh-oh. Might be time to go swimming."
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe