Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diving Lake Calhoun Wed. 8-12-09
08-11-2009, 06:58 AM,
Diving Lake Calhoun Wed. 8-12-09

I was out walking around Lake Calhoun on Sunday taking in the sites, and happened to notice how clear the water is. I thought I'd go check it out in more detail, was thinking after work say 5:30 in the SE corner parking lot, a real short distance to haul the gear, if anyone would like to join me. Just let me know, (it has to be clearer then some of the lakes Robert and I have hit lately!)  THANKS!      Terry    952-201-3029
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
08-12-2009, 05:26 AM,
Re: Diving Lake Calhoun Wed. 8-12-09
Wish I could make it dude but I have stuff I gotta do after work. If things change I'l call you. 8)
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
08-12-2009, 08:32 AM,

Sounds good Doug, Hydro's coming with tonight, let me know if you can join us!      T
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
08-12-2009, 10:50 AM,
good idea - but a bad week for me to get in on the fun!  gotta finish packing for a fishing trip.  have a good dive! 
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
08-12-2009, 11:36 AM,

I haven't dove in Lake Calhoun yet.  What is the vis like?  How deep is it?  Is there any debris on the bottom like there is in Square Lake?  How many feet down can you dive before you have to deco?  Thanks!  Michelle
08-12-2009, 03:25 PM,
vis is usually about 10 feet from my experience +- 5 feet

most of it is 30', some deeper holes according to the mndnr lake map

theres a lot of work that went into simulating the moon in calhoun by nasa in the 60s for training... some junk and a hand somewhere from what i hear

deco depends on time at depth... at 30 feet you'd run out of air before you'd have to worry about getting a deco unless you have more than 3 hours of air on you

i can fill in more after
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
08-12-2009, 09:22 PM,

I haven't dove in Lake Calhoun yet.  What is the vis like?  How deep is it?  Is there any debris on the bottom like there is in Square Lake?  How many feet down can you dive before you have to deco?  Thanks!  Michelle

Hi Michelle!

What a nice nite to dive tonight was. Lots of curious people, stopped to ask (sometimes intelligent) questions, even the two guys who asked (as Hydro and I we stood against the breakwall,,, fully suited up), "are you guys, scubadiving"? and I had to say, "no were just standing around all dressed in black in the sun and 90 degrees just to see how hot we can get".  Lake Calhoun is a max of 82' deep, Joe and I got to 45', pretty dark, to go much further, (but we werent afraid!) water hit the low 50s, (but we werent cold) some kid asked if we could bring up his rod and reel lost from the dock, (but we could'nt find it) and as we got out, a CONSTANT steam of delightfully attractive women on the sidewalk (but we didnt, oggle any of them) well, I didnt anyway.
                Vis was 5', nothing but cans and bottles, ohhh and a cool Muskie bait, under the dock I found a flashlight and bike lock ohhh and a two foot tiger Muskie, (wheres the pink stiff one when I needed it!) We'll hit another lake middle of next week so stay tuned!    T
[/quote]
08-12-2009, 09:29 PM,
the one nice thing calhoun has is surface scenery, (even though there isn't much at depth). at least we found some decent gravel for half the dive.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
08-12-2009, 09:31 PM,
...So it wasn't just the air temp that got you hot and bothered!!!  >Big Grin
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
08-12-2009, 09:39 PM,

I seem to recall Hydro prespiring much worse then I was, well until the two gals with the dog showed up, to impress me with their, dog's tricks. It made me think,,,,,,,,,"just as I was about to, call it quits, along come another set of, big,,,, dog tricks. Thats how you remember it Hydro, isnt it?    T