Remember me
Lost Password Register

divers and life insurance
08-14-2009, 09:09 AM,
Re: divers and life insurance
So active and fit is uninsurable but sit on the couch and eat the equivalent of 4 sticks of butter a day and you get good rates?

I'm self insured, they can sell my gear which the wife and I call REI Room.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
08-14-2009, 11:37 AM,
What is your role as an Isnati County Public Safety Diver? Rescue or recovery? When they call me, it is a recovery (body has been submerged for a certain period of time).

One thing to think about, when you fill-out the application, if you lie and say that you do not dive, when in fact you have been diving for years, may void the insurance contract. If you die from a scuba diving related incidence, they may not cover you, at best they may just refund your premiums.

I had a sizeable policy about a decade ago with the "ex", this was prior to any really deep or technical diving I have since done. They also asked what type of diving (depth, overhead, etc.) I was doing. All you can do is be honest with them at the time of the application.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
08-14-2009, 01:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-14-2009, 01:11 PM by DetectorGuy.)

Our role is search and recovery. We work parallel to the Safety Rescue but the line was drawn that they would take care of the living and we would take care of the rest. The "rescue" training we take is more for each other during the recovery, and the coincidental accident that may happen while we are on scene. The training that is involved with being a public safety diver "should" make your premiums go down instead of up. The premiums just for being a diver should also be lower than the average overfed schmuck that does nothing to stay in shape. Of course when I was honest and told them that I chewed tobacco the premiums almost doubled. The guy told me that if I quit today, and came back in in 13 months and told them that I have not used tobacco for over 12 months and gave them a date reflecting when I quit 12+ months ago... that the premiums would drop drastically. This was good to hear as far as I can tell I just quit chewing yesterday :-X!