Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wetsuit in the Dumpster
08-26-2009, 11:30 AM,
Re: Wetsuit in the Dumpster
I dont know much about semi-dry suits but I bought a 7 MM Bare Alpine suit for $175. Attached 7mm hood, internal smooth-skin wrist and ankle seals, and an additional 3mm spine/kidney pad. The sucky thing is that its a front zip and getting out of it after a solo dive was like watching someone having an epeliptic seizure. After that first dive with it I had 24" long straps sewn to either side of the zipper at the neck for easier doffing. It is plenty warm for one dive in 39 degree water but the second dive in that temperature water... I need more convincing.
08-27-2009, 08:57 PM,
Re: Wetsuit in the Dumpster
One of the problems I had with the Henderson suit is that getting-into and out-of the suit was a problem. They are made for divers with smaller shoulders, I often had to have a buddy pull the suit down from my shoulders after every dive, just to tight.

So I went deep into my dive locker and pulled-out the old trusty Dacor 7mm Semi Dry, I bought it in Chicago in 98', but haven't used it since probably 05'. It probably has a couple hundered dives on it, is faded and worn, but always kept me warm while I cruised the bottom of Louise.

I have to teach an Open Water Class Friday & Saturday here in St. Cloud, so I will find out then if it is still any good. The drysuit is in Brainerd getting "fixed".

Since I will be diving in the Carolina's Sept. through November, I was told I would just need a 3mm suit. The thermocline is at 70'.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201