Remember me
Lost Password Register

DSS Boots
08-24-2009, 12:54 PM,
DSS Boots
Anyone here have experience with the DSS boots?  I'm tired of monkeying with the strap that came on our SK7 compasses and I'm thinking of getting these so I can just use a bungee strap.

I also see they have one for the VT3 computer which looks interesting as well.  As it is now, if the strap breaks, I lose the computer.  If I switch to this, if a bungee breaks, it is still attached with the second bungee.
08-24-2009, 04:13 PM,
Re: DSS Boots
These are great (simple, cheap, robust). Discussed in a earlier thread:

I have one for a Vytec and one for the SK7 compass, wouldn't dive any other way. I criss cross the bungy's but that's just a preference. The nice part about the Vytec one is that they did a great job leaving access for the download connector too. I've only had the computer out of the elastomeric mount once for a battery change (it wasn't fun but it's not very often)
08-24-2009, 04:23 PM,
My DSS SK7 compass boot is still going strong but my Vyper boot didn't hold up as well as I would have liked. :-\  One of the holes that the bungee cord runs through tore out  >Sad so I went back to the tried and true method for the Vyper.  I just tie bungee cord to the watch pin holes with several wraps of mono filament fish line.
08-24-2009, 08:42 PM,
Alright, I ordered them.  I don't want those expensive compasses ending up in the muck.

Now, where do I get the bungee cord from?  ..... preferably black.
08-24-2009, 09:51 PM,
If you live in or near Minneapolis, Midwest Mountaineering over on Cedar Avenue near the West Bank of the U is a good place.  I think the shock cord is upstairs at Thrifty Outfitters, behind the counter (though the color may vary, I think last time I was there, for the diameter you are looking for, the cord is white with blue or black stripes).  They sell by the foot for very little money.  I think they also sell 2” webbing for backplates.  Downstairs, in the main store, behind the counter, they sell tubular webbing which works really well for sheathing stainless steel hose clamps on stage and deco bottles (once again for very little money, and by the foot).  - Kirk 
08-25-2009, 04:12 AM,
I usually get 1/8" bungee cord at REI.  They have spools of it back by the climbing section and sell it by the foot.  It's around 15 cents a foot I believe.
08-25-2009, 08:00 AM,
If you're in the Ridgedale area, I got mine at the boating supply place on the south side of I-394 about a block west of the Best Buy. Sold by the foot. I think I found both the smaller bungee (octo necklace) and larger bungee (DSS boots) there.

I'll have to keep an eye of the DSS boot hole tearing out. I don't dive dry very often these days, but pulling the bungee over that dry glove ring will probably be what finally gets me (the bungee really has to stretch). Maybe somebody needs to get clever and add something similar to the plastic slides used to draw continuous cords tight in jackets and pants. I don't care for the plastic component here. But the bungee would never break and with two separate pieces, one going slack wouldn't be such a big deal.
08-25-2009, 08:05 AM,
I work downtown, so maybe I'll check out Midwest Mountaineering after they show up.
08-25-2009, 11:04 AM,
I'm a bit late on the thread but I use the SK7 factory boot but changed the strap to the elastic strap from DiveRite. I use the same elastic strap for 2 Nitek and my SK. Never had anything get loose and I've had them for a few years.

The DSS boot for my bottom timer is very nice so you can't go wrong.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.