Remember me
Lost Password Register

New, larger diver
09-02-2009, 04:59 PM,
New, larger diver
So, I'm a larger diver, usually needing an XXL BCD.  Because of this, I've been debating buying some gear.  I've been down to afew shops, but a bit overwhelmed by all the information I've been given.. Most prices for a mid range setup seem to be about $1400.  This is for the BCD/Regulator/Computer packages that these places have.  I've been looking at the Seaquest qd pro and the Scubapro Gilde BCDs.

I just got my dive Card, and my main concern is not being able to find rental gear in my size.  I know, locally, there are afew shops that don't rent xxl BCDs so I'm assuming thats the way it is everywhere.. Plus, is this too much for a starter set?  Any recommendations on where/when to buy? 
09-02-2009, 05:12 PM,
Re: New, larger diver
Definitely rent every different brand and style of BC that you can find in your size before buying one. It is amazing how many "extras & spares" that most divers have in the closet because they bought what they thought that they wanted without being able to road test any of them. Rental works good for getting a trial on various units without having to outright buy it.
Secondly, what type of diving do you plan to do and where. This will make a large difference in what would work best in the long run.
Personally, I would try out a Back Plate/Wing style BC. There is very little limits on sizes they can fit. Changing out the harness makes it easy to add for girth or trim down if needed. Also when traveling, they are fairly easy to pack flat. Even if you rent everything else while on vacation, you know that your BC is custom sized to you.  Just my 2 cents.
In Life, You Either Do or You Don't. I Did! - (Wallace the Pit Bull 4/3/02-8/23/13)
09-03-2009, 05:25 AM,
Check out Blue Wave Scuba.  They are going out of business and may have some deals for you.  I think they carry mostly Oceanic.  I have an Oceanic BC (Excursion I think) that is back inflate and very adjustable.  Its pretty close to a harness and will fit a large variety of people sizes.

I haven't looked in mine, but all the straps in my wife's Hera for the velcro belt can be removed and reseated in a number of sizes for people with different sized middles.  If it doesn't fit at first, check and see if it can be adjusted larger/smaller before moving on.
09-03-2009, 06:59 AM,

I second the recomendation for a backplate. I would get the stainless steel model and dive with a steel 120 tank. This will reduce the amount of weight you have to carry. Welcome to the wonderful world of diving.  8)
09-03-2009, 07:26 AM,
I actually did email them, but they didn't have any XXL BCD's in stock.  I'm thinking of checking fantasea, as I've heard they have some larger rental units, so I may be able to give acouple of different brands/models a try there.
Quote:I haven't looked in mine, but all the straps in my wife's Hera for the velcro belt can be removed and reseated in a number of sizes for people with different sized middles.  If it doesn't fit at first, check and see if it can be adjusted larger/smaller before moving on.
That is one thing I've noticed.  Alot of the gear is on some very adjustable straps.  It seems like it can be adjusted, or larger straps can be substituted in.
I've had acouple others talk about getting a steel tank.  That may help with the weights issue.  I had to have almost 40lbs on me for my open water dive, so I need a higher weight holding capacity no matter what I get.
09-03-2009, 08:57 AM,
We have a Divemaster that has a XXL Pro QD i3 with cumberbund extender that we could work out for you to try.  He is also interested in selling it as he has lost a lot of weight over the last several months.  Let me know and I will see what I can work out for you.
09-03-2009, 08:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2009, 09:02 AM by mattd.)
For 40 pounds, you may want to use an integrated belt and a separate weight belt.  I don't know of any that will hold that much.  I think mine is rated for 10 pounds in the back pockets and 20 in the front for 30 total.  Keep in mind that you may need more weight in salt water.  Even though I went from a 7mil to a 3mil wetsuit, I still needed about the same weight when we were in the Carribean.  The divemaster dubbed me "little anchor man".

I don't know if my BCD is a L or an XL, but you are welcome to take a look at it before ordering one if you want to see how it is put together.  I haven't seen this model in shops besides for at Blue Wave.  Scuba Center carries a bunch of options, but I don't think they had this model. 

For my open water, I used either 24 or 26 pounds with an AL80.  I am now down to 16 pounds with a steel 100.  I'm hoping to shed another 2 pounds on my next dive and see how it goes.   I very much like the steel tanks.

You'll drop at least 5-6 pounds just switching to a steel tank.  You'll also drop some weight if you go to a backplate.  BC's are more buoyant than a BP & W.  I think Air Down There has a selection of BP&W equipment.  They are very knowledgeable about helping you get gear that fits right.
09-03-2009, 09:11 AM,
I am a bigger diver also and I highly recommend the back plate approach.  A stainless back plate will add a bit of weight that you will not have to carry.  Plus it is very comfortable and you can change the configuration of it as you do different types of diving.
09-03-2009, 09:41 AM,
To carry the weight would not be a problem with my system.  I have a Halcyon Backplate with the weighted single thank adaptor.  The BP/W weighs 12 pounds by itself.  Then you can add 2-10 pound pockets on the strap.  You can then add some trip pockets to the tank straps (2-5 pounds).  This would bring you over your needed 40 lbs.

I also recommend the backplate for the adjustment, but also for the different configurations that it can do if you ever progress in your diving.
09-03-2009, 11:46 AM,
You could also check out the MSD up in Brainerd.  They have several 2XL SeaQuest BCD's in rentals (they also have up to 4XL wetsuits).  They have fundive every other Saturday in September and every Saturday in October.  The fall is the best time to dive Crosby! Lori