Remember me
Lost Password Register

New, larger diver
09-03-2009, 02:35 PM,
Re: New, larger diver
Yet another vote for a Backplate, Wing and Harness setup.

I started with Zeagle and liked it. My friend uses it now (but is already planning to get a BPW). The Zeagle Ranger cumberbund extends and works well. So if you see one of those at a store or someone offers it, if it is the larger size to start with it should fit you and last many years if properly cared for.

But in the end; all those straps flapping around, weight stuffed in pockets that don't quite seem right, this emergency dump or that, plasticy clips everywhere, buckles, pads, way too much material to wash and dry - blech!

You should be able to build up a nice BPW setup (brand new) for under $500. You can probably knock at least $100 off that if you can find a deal on a used wing and not go crazy on fancy harness stuff.

Re: weights. With the BPW setup, you can place some weight on the tank bands and put the rest in regular pouches which go on the belt portion of the harness. You could also wear a second weight belt but that gets you into weird territory (which belts goes on the outside).

The people at Scuba Center helped me setup my BPW - fits perfect. Not a single strap dangling around. Easy to take apart and clean. Trims out perfect. Custom fit to my size. Easy to customize. Smaller to travel with. I would strongly urge you to talk to someone who sells / sets up BPW configs before making your final choice. If you end up liking the BPW, you've just saved yourself a lot of money not buying a traditional BCD first.

Research 'Hogarthian' diving configurations for more details regarding the BPW diving configuration. You'll probably come across some decent recommendations for regulators and don't be surprised if you find yourself ordering a 7' long hose, attaching screen door springs to your fins and wondering where you can get 10' of bungee Smile

Remember, just because your training was done with a certain set of gear does not mean you have to then go out and buy all those exact same things.
09-03-2009, 07:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2009, 08:01 PM by Mr.Pitbull.)
Quote:I haven't looked in mine, but all the straps in my wife's Hera for the velcro belt can be removed and reseated in a number of sizes for people with different sized middles.  If it doesn't fit at first, check and see if it can be adjusted larger/smaller before moving on.
That is one thing I've noticed.  Alot of the gear is on some very adjustable straps.  It seems like it can be adjusted, or larger straps can be substituted in.
I've had acouple others talk about getting a steel tank.  That may help with the weights issue.  I had to have almost 40lbs on me for my open water dive, so I need a higher weight holding capacity no matter what I get.
[/quote]

Keep in mind that Velcro only works well if you keep it clean and free of debris. Contamination can cause a very untimely failure

If you use the standard hard weights you can attach them directly to the tank using smaller cam bands. That way you can move them up or down to adjust your trim in the water. As was mentioned earlier there are weight pouches that can be added to the STA straps but they are stationary and not really adjustable for your trim configuration.

The harness material can be purchased at various prices and colors from $1.25/ft to $4.00/ft. and you can string your own.   ( )
Otherwise pre-assembled harnesses can be purchased with unlimited options. I would definitely recommend one with a shoulder quick release if you are thick through the shoulders. Getting in and out of the continuous harnesses is a feat better left to skinny divers.
A stainless steel back plate, steel tank and a couple well placed weights will come close to cutting your weight needs in half. Also the longer you have been diving and the more comfortable you are with your gear and surroundings, the less weight you typically will need.
In Life, You Either Do or You Don't. I Did! - (Wallace the Pit Bull 4/3/02-8/23/13)
09-03-2009, 08:06 PM,
I went to scuba center and talk to them about a BPW.  I'm looking at the dive rite transpac system.  Looks fairly comfy and very customizable.   I'm also finding alot of accessories available online as well as in the shop.

I saw the steel plate systems, but was wondering how those feel.  I don't know if I want the metal unpadded/covered against my back.  Is this a problem with the metal ones? 
09-03-2009, 10:40 PM,
The only time you might feel the "unpaddedness" of a plate is if you are not wearing a wetsuit/drysuit.
Otherwise not a problem. Ask to try it on.
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
09-04-2009, 11:26 AM,

You want the backplate and tank to fit snugly to your back.  You don't want the BC device shifting around on your body.  The backplate should feel like an extension of your body versus the feeling of wearing a vest.  It may take a little work, and a dive or two, to dial in the harness fitting. If the harness is properly fitted you won't notice the backplate while diving -- whether it's plastic, steel, or aluminum. 

Steel plates are ideal for diving in Minnesota.  That's your best long-term investment. 
--Jason
09-06-2009, 09:31 PM,
one style i didnt notice listed so far is a backplate weight if you go with wing system,
this is a non- dumpable weight that stays on the plate...

i think i found this on wiscuba site,  it has some pics to go with descriptions there..

P-Weight
I posted a question on the tech/cavers list of how to make a V-Weight. As usual, I got a mountain of great ideas, tips and techniques from my fellow divers. So I set out to make some.

I learned that there are 2 kinds of backplate weights you can make. The traditional V-Weight, one which fits between your tanks and the backplate. And the "polish" V-Weight, one which sits in the gully of your backplate. The advantage of the, uh, P-Weight, for lack of a better term, is that if you have a metal backplane then you have your mold already. All you need is some plumbers putty, or some playdough to make the dams.

For the P-Weight you have to drill a hole in your backplane

Then you make a "mushroom" out of some stainless steel bolts and washers

The washer is to give the bolt a good foundation in your lead

The putty can be found at any hardware store or plumbing supply and is dirt cheap, about $1.50 per tub, I used two 14 oz. tubs.

Use the putty to create 2 dams on your backplane gully, making sure that you are leaving enough room for your wingnuts.

The backplane ready to go to the smelter

V-Weight P-Weight The Melt Final Product

there was a website listed but it didnt copy over here..