Remember me
Lost Password Register

North Florida Cave Diving
09-16-2009, 07:03 AM,
North Florida Cave Diving
I went down to Florida for week over the labor day weekend to take the NSS-CDS Cavern and Basic Cave courses what a blast!!!  8) , but plenty of eye opening and sobering experiences  :-[ .  I definitely think that every open water diver that doesn't mind an overhead environment should go through these two courses.  They are not your traditional pay and get your card like I see so many times....and have done so many times both Rec and Tec diving....it’s a tough set of courses and you are not guaranteed to pass. 

I took my courses through Jim Wyatt (cavediveflorida.com), he is a tough instructor and isn't shy about letting you know where your faults are (but willing to help you overcome them) and he won't pass you if he feels you are not ready....on Wednesday we kept hearing "An instructor can forgive but a cave won't"....on Friday that was put into perspective when my Instructor during our Basic Cave class at Ginnie Springs was called into do a rescue of a lost diver which later turned into a body recovery in Devils Ear/Eye Cave system.  Jim Wyatt and Larry Green pulled the body out of Devils Ear/Eye Cave system....it was a very sobering experience and very sad day among the cave diving community.  It is one thing to hear about people that die while diving....its another to be there watching it all unfold....very very sobering.  The drills you do in the classes are also very sobering....especially the lost main line no visibility get yourself out of the Cavern/Cave drill....instructor is there watching out for you safety but that's it during the drill.

Again these are tough classes but definitely worth the expense...they will make you a better diver....mentally and physically...even if you don't pass.  They will definitely give you a complacency check, something every diver needs....especially experienced divers.  I went down with being on the fence about Cave diving, but wanted to pick up skills from an environments where safety is number one in all cases and instructors that are tough because the environment is a tough one.  Cave divers also pride themselves on buoyancy skills which is another reason I wanted a tough instructor.  In addition Cave and Wreck diving have a lot of similarities and I wanted a good base developed before moving towards Advanced Wreck diving/training....but I enjoyed the caves so much I am planning to head back to take Apprentice Cave and Full Cave within the year.

We dove Ginnies Ballroom, Devils Ear and Peacock, they were all good....my favorite so far is the Devils Ear system.

If you have ever thought about doing cavern or cave diving go to North Florida and take the courses there...you will be glad you did.  Also take the courses from a cave diving association like NSS-CDS, NACD or GUE.....skip the Rec certification version like PADI, NAUI or others....even TDI....they don't cut it....thats my personal opinion. 

Safe Diving

Timm
The Strokes say &quot;Dual is OK&quot;.<br />The Koolaiders say &quot;Only use Halcyon wings and 104's&quot;.<br />The Cyber guys quote a formula.<br />......... and the rest of us just go diving
09-16-2009, 07:37 PM,
Re: North Florida Cave Diving
Oh, now you are saying you are better than me?  Smile  Just kidding Tim, was wondering how that went for you.  I know the cave divers are hard core, not a place to be messing with unless you have the right instruction and mind set.  Congrats and hopefully see you around before the season is over.  You'll have to brief me around the campfire some night.

09-16-2009, 07:53 PM,
Congrats, I know those places they are a good training ground.
I can only second cavern training is a good introduction for wreck diving.

Andy
Andreas
09-16-2009, 08:27 PM,
I was looing at his website and wondering about it. Nice to see a reveiw, now I dont have to wonder. Sounds like he was a good instructor and you enjoyed the coarse.
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
09-17-2009, 05:58 AM,

Yeah I don't have have anything bad to say about Jim....read through the student reviews/guest book on his website...they were pretty much dead on and like I said he ain't shy  ;D .  I lived in Florida for about 7 years and always wanted to know what was past the light zone at Devils Ear/Eye in Ginnie Springs (No Light Rule outside Ginnie Ballroom)...now I know and it was fun. 

If you don't mind overhead environments its worth the time and money.  Word of advise...if you aren't doing "head down, knees bent and fin tips up"...practice before you go down....you won't pass the cavern course without somewhat mastering it and its mandatory for starting Basic Cave diving.  It sounds simple but if the muscle memory isn't there, you will default back to your old ways until it is muscle memory...it's tough to break bad habits in one day....which for silt areas this position this is a big deal....Peacock Springs was one of those cases....very silty entrance.  Another note...talk to Jim before going down about your equipment....I thought I had a good set up after I took my Advanced Nitrox/Deco class....boy was I wrong.....basically if it ain't needed....get rid of it.

I think North Florida is a great place to learn because you have both High Flow caves (Devils Ear/Eye) which pumps out I believe 80 Million gallons of water a day and you have zero/low flow caves like Peacock springs.  This gives you training in both environments....there are very few places in the world that offer both types of cave systems and you will be doing skills and gaining experience in both types.  I don't know if you are familiar with diving in strong current but imagine trying to work with a reel in both directions of the current....it can be challenging especially reeling it back in as the current/water pressure is pushing you out....while trying not to jam the reel.... I fixed a few jammed reels ;D

Far as the comment of "I can only second cavern training is a good introduction for wreck diving", the reason I mentioned both courses as some of the skills taught in the Basic Cave course I feel would be good to knows while taking/doing Advanced Wreck diving....but either Wreck or Cave training isn't a replacement for either style they both have their differences and the associated training will help save your life in that trained environment but there are a lot that does cross over.

Hey Austin shoot me an email....yours doesn't seem to work any more.

Safe Diving

Timm
The Strokes say &quot;Dual is OK&quot;.<br />The Koolaiders say &quot;Only use Halcyon wings and 104's&quot;.<br />The Cyber guys quote a formula.<br />......... and the rest of us just go diving
11-10-2009, 09:52 PM,
Keep posting your progress towards full cave.  Quite a few full cave divers in this area.  Always glad to find new dive buddies.  I heading down this week.  Found some good guys to dive with out of the Northeast US but can't always guarantee we have the same time off.  Also, would be good to find someone to wreck dive with in this area to develop a well functioning team. 

Congratulations on your step into the dark realm!
11-19-2009, 07:30 AM,
Will do. 

I am always looking for divers to dive with...first in open water.  Shoot me a PM sometime if you wanna go out.  Lately has been busy but couldn't hurt.